Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kamalpreetS 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Meagan Hanes.

Author Posts
December 27, 2016 at 7:50 pm #1169348

kamalpreetS

Hi there,

I have two languages on my website, Canada and United States. My existing content is built for Canada. I have a USA version of my website which I want to use to import all the pages (as the word Canada is replaced by USA). Is there a way I can just import these pages instead of translating my Canadian pages one by one?

Thanks!

December 27, 2016 at 10:26 pm #1169402

Meagan Hanes

Hi there!

Happy to say that if you're looking to clone your existing language's content on the same site, it's easy to copy all your site's content using the Translation Management plugin, which you can find from your Downloads page here: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Once installed, you'll have a new option in the WPML Dashboard menu: Translation Management. Clicking this will bring you to the Translation Dashboard, where you can duplicate all Page and Post content with one click.

If you're looking to batch-import all the new language's content from a third party site, I believe you can do so easily with the WordPress export file and our WPML All Import plugin: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Let me know if you encounter any troubles in doing so!

~ Meagan

December 29, 2016 at 5:01 am #1170486

kamalpreetS

Hi Meagan,

I think the second part of your answer was what I was looking more into - I was thinking of importing through WordPress Importer but then won't that content be applied to every language? Or does it allow me to specify which language to import into?

December 29, 2016 at 3:44 pm #1170900

Meagan Hanes

You won't be able to use the default WordPress importer, as that only works for one language and won't do any of the language mapping required. You'll have to use a plugin like WPML All Import in conjunction with WP All Import, and follow the documented workflow of exporting the original language content, creating a copy of that file and replacing it with the new language, and importing both files into a new site.

Depending on how many posts/pages contain changed content between the Canadian and USA versions, it may be easier for you to simply do a big clone of the Canadian content to the USA language then manually edit any changed pages.

Meagan

January 3, 2017 at 4:57 pm #1173669

kamalpreetS

Hi Meagan,

Sorry I'm not entirely understanding. Should I download WPML All Import and WP All Import on the USA website then use that to export into my Global website which is the new one?

I have 400 pages so I definitely can't just copy them over.

January 3, 2017 at 7:07 pm #1173758

Meagan Hanes

Since it's impossible to import just one language's contents, we have to first export the main language's contents, then create a copy of this file with the second language's contents. Both of these files can then be imported to the new Global site.

The steps are:
1. Export Canadian website content.
2. Follow https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/ to create Connector column
3. Create a copy of this file with the USA content.
4. Follow instructions linked above to import Canadian, then American content.

Meagan

January 3, 2017 at 7:11 pm #1173761

kamalpreetS

Hi Meagan,

I think I'm starting to understand how to resolve this. A question I have is what if I already have the Canadian content up on the Global site? All I want to do is just import the United States content into the Global site. Is that possible?

If it's not possible, do I have to export my Canadian content from the Global site, delete Canadian content from the Global site, then import both Canada/US again?

January 3, 2017 at 9:20 pm #1173818

Meagan Hanes

There's no way to just import the second language's contents because there's no information mapping those new posts with their first language counterparts. That's why we must export from the first language, to manually create these links.

That's why I mentioned the option of manually updating the site - that way you can stay with the existing Canadian language site, turn on the new American language, batch duplicate all existing pages and posts, then manually copy over any changed contents.

January 3, 2017 at 9:34 pm #1173824

kamalpreetS

Hmm I think we'll just go with the option of manually updating the website. The other method sounds quite intricate and could cause more issues.

Is there a way to Search/Replace. The US content is literally a replication of the Canadian content, except with different URLs and changing the word of Canada to USA.

Please let me know if there's a way to do so.

Thanks!

January 4, 2017 at 2:39 pm #1174417

Meagan Hanes

While we don't have a built-in search and replace tool, you may be able to dig deeper into the database and create an SQL statement that will perform this task. Of course you'd have to limit the query to only the rows which contain the new translation. Some information on how to do this can be found here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11839060/find-and-replace-text-in-the-entire-table-using-a-mysql-query

Of course, please backup your database beforehand in case anything goes wrong.

Hope this helps!

Meagan

January 6, 2017 at 6:30 pm #1176381

kamalpreetS

Hi Meagan,

Thanks for the details. I think it's difficult to do that so I'll probably go manually for all 400 pages haha.

On the other hand, quick question. How can I customize certain text with tags? For example, can I make text show up in Canada or USA using shortcodes? (Example below):

[canada]416-000-0000[/canada] [usa]1-888-000-0000[/usa]

I am trying to customize header text that shows up through my theme. Please let me know - thanks!

January 6, 2017 at 6:43 pm #1176386

Meagan Hanes

It's generally recommended that you use the String Translation module to translate common site elements like header information. More info: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

If this information is buried in a theme's configuration, you can give this plugin a try: hidden link

Hope this helps!

Meagan

January 9, 2017 at 11:13 pm #1177972

kamalpreetS

Thanks Meagan, we're all good!