This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Importing qTranslatex to WPML issue.

Solution:

It seemed that the import could not be completed. In this case here is what helped.

1. In the wp-config.php file I've raised the max_execution_time like this.

set_time_limit(1200);

I think that it helped the import process not to get stuck.

2. I've deactivated all the third-party plugins and left only WPML and qTranslate Import plugins active while I was making the import process.

3. I've run the import process which finished successfully. Please see the attached screenshot import-ok.jpg

4. I've added the rewrite rules to the .htaccess file.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
April 3, 2019 at 5:17 pm

enriqueG-5

I am trying to:
import from qTranslateX to WPML in a staging site: hidden link

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:
The second language is empty of posts. They're not related from one lang to another.

Instead, I got:
I see all the posts in 1 language, the main language which is spanish.

April 3, 2019 at 7:01 pm #3530051

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

First, please make sure that you were importing your site from qTranslate X and not from older versions of qTranslate as this wouldn't work.

Please let me know if while making the import you followed our instructions here?
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/qtranslate-importer/
It is very important to make sure to disable qTranslate and enable the qTranslate Importer plugin before starting the import.
Did you remember to do that?

I couldn't check things on your site because you have a server restriction. Please also share with me the server credentials. I'm enabling private message fro the next reply.

Furthermore please correct the following. By looking at the debug info that you have attached I can see that your server WP Memory Limit is set to 40M.
Our recommendations are to have the following as minimal requirements:
- PHP 5.3 and above (this OK with your installation) with a WP Memory Limit of at least 128MB and more if possible.
- MySQL 5.6 and above (this OK with your installation).
Please follow this link for detailed documentation:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
Is it possible for you to change those to the minimum requirement?
You may need to contact your hosting provider for that.
Meeting those baseline requirements is most critical before starting to debug and sometimes solves issues like you experiencing.
Most important is to raise the WP Memory Limit.
Please try to raise it before you contact your hosting company.
You can try and do it from the wp-config.php file in your WordPress installation.
Insert this code in that file.

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it before this line:
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Could you please perform those procedures and see if they help?

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 5, 2019 at 4:11 pm
April 7, 2019 at 2:02 pm #3551959

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

You wrote: "I followed up all the instructions and deactivated qTranslateX and activated WPML without configuring it."

I'm sorry if it was not clear enough for you but of course, that WPML needs to be configured before the import from qTranslate. You need to have the same default language and other languages as you had on your qTranslate site. When I read you the documentation, it is clear to me.
Could you please tell me which part was the confusing part and I would ask our documentation team to correct it?
Is it working for you when you first configure WPML and then import qTranslate?

If you need more help from me, please share with me the details that are missing for me to access your site. Before I can access the admin of WordPress, there is an additional username and password that I need to insert. Please see the attached screenshot. I'm enabling a private message for the next reply.

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 8, 2019 at 2:03 pm
April 9, 2019 at 3:19 pm #3568679

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thanks for the access details.

I could make the qTranslate importer work on your site. Now there are 33 Spanish pages and 21 Catalan translated pages. And there 824 Spanish posts and 784 Catalan translated posts. Please see the attached screenshots posts-ok.jpg and pages-ok.jpg.

Here is what I did.

1. In the wp-config.php file I've raised the max_execution_time like this.

set_time_limit(1200);

I think that it helped the import process not to get stuck.

2. I've deactivated all the third-party plugins and left only WPML and qTranslate Import plugins active while I was making the import process.

3. I've run the import process which finished successfully. Please see the attached screenshot import-ok.jpg

4. I've added the rewrite rules to the .htaccess file.

Could you please confirm that now the import process was finished successfully?

April 9, 2019 at 4:02 pm #3569171

enriqueG-5

Hi! Thanks a lot for helping. I will try to do it by my own on another staging site because I need to do still some adjustments, but my issue is resolved now. Thank you!

April 10, 2019 at 8:39 am #3573559

Itamar
Supporter

Great, I'm glad that it is solved now!
Good luck with your web projects 🙂
Itamar.