Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 5 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
May 11, 2016 at 8:17 pm #880590

francoisP-2

Hi!

I have a site with French products in place and I want to import English titles & descriptions based on the sku column using WP All import and WPML All Import plugin.

I can't manage to do it correctly, it messes up the products every time.

I'm trying to follow the instructions here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

... but the products are already there so can I skip step #1?

Thanks!

François

May 12, 2016 at 8:27 pm #881530

Bruno

Hi François,

You need to import one language at a time.

When you are importing a second language, you must specify the language. Then you must select which is the key to the original post. Usually, it is the product ID or SKU.

When you are importing the products on the secondary, these values will be compared and added in the correct product translation.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with my answer and if I can help you with any other questions you might have.

Thank you.

wpml-all-import.png
wpml-all-import-2.png
May 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm #881538

francoisP-2

Hi Bruno,

What you describe is what I was doing but it screws up all products when I do it.

There is something else I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

François

May 13, 2016 at 12:58 pm #882099

Bruno

Hi François,

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

*** Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

May 13, 2016 at 8:40 pm #882447

Bruno

Thank you for credentials.

The problem is that you are using the same file for both languages. The files need to be different.

That is, you will have two files: one in French and another file in English. Look at our documentation:

How to prepare CSV/XML files

To import posts to your WordPress installation, prepare CSV files. You can do this by using any spreadsheet software, such as, MS Excel or OpenOffice Calc. **Prepare separate documents for posts in the original language:**

Also, note that you are adding some products in English, which has no title in French. I will attach a picture for you to see.

The steps should be:

- Duplicate the your csv file and rename the csv file, e.g.: "english.csv"
- Translate the new file to English
- Edit the "post_title_en" to "post_title"
- On the original file, you can remove the column "post_title en".

That is, in the end, you have two files, one in English and one in French. Each will have their languages.

Then you can connect these products using the SKU, which will be the same between products.

After following these steps, please let me know if the problem persists.

Thank you.

english-titles.png
May 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm #882453

francoisP-2

Hi Bruno,

I did what you explained but one step:
- Edit the "post_title_en" to "post_title"

Does this mean I also have to edit "post_content_en" to "post_content"?

Thanks!

Francois

May 16, 2016 at 1:08 pm #883224

Bruno

Hi François,

Yes. You should keep the fields of the same name. Then just upload the translated file and follow the steps above.

After following these steps, please let me know if the problem persists.

Thank you.

May 16, 2016 at 1:12 pm #883225

francoisP-2

Hi Bruno,

I can't import the second language correctly, it replaces the French products, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Can I send you the English file for you to look at?

Thanks.

François

May 16, 2016 at 3:44 pm #883374

Bruno

Hi François,

Sure. Please send me the file so that I can check.

* Please make a full backup of your site.

Thank you.

May 16, 2016 at 6:18 pm #883498

Bruno

You should be able to send it in a zip file.

Is this file uploaded on your server? If so, where I can locate it?

Thank you.

May 16, 2016 at 8:55 pm #883602

Bruno

Thank you.

When you set up the first products, what is the unique identifier you selected for the products? I'll attach a picture for you to see.

Note that when I click on "Auto-detect", it seems that you have chosen title and SKU, but I'm not sure (and this combination is not working). It seems that the unique identifier is another (note that should be a code, such as ID or SKU, not the title).

Thank yu.

unique-id.png
May 16, 2016 at 9:00 pm #883604

francoisP-2

If I go through the import procedure I can see:
{post_title[1]} - {sku[1]}

Is that it?

Thanks.

François

May 16, 2016 at 9:02 pm #883605

francoisP-2

Is this the problem?

Should I use only the SKU?

Thanks.

François

May 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm #884531

Bruno

Hi, François!

Sorry for the delay.

Yes. That should be done by a unique code. When the post is imported, comparisons will be made. That is:

- SKU (or any unique code) is the same in both languages.
- The title will be different.

That is, when you are creating posts in the original language, you must add a unique code (code, SKU, etc, but unique in both languages) to then be used in the secondary language.

Thank you.

May 18, 2016 at 3:04 pm #885311

francoisP-2

And what would be the procedure to correct this issue?

Thanks.

François