This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
January 29, 2019 at 9:14 am #3138787

bogdanK-4

I am trying to: import and update custom posts and taxonomies for multiple languages in an educational website. I have tried multiple ways to import data and I've had mixed results, most of the times because the items do not seem to be managed properly.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link and hidden link

I expected to see: I have imported a csv file with 707 records uniquely identified by a guid (this translated into 577 unique educational programs (the /ro/ version).

Instead, I got: When I imported the english version (after the initial 577 records imported) I've redone the import trying to update some information, but I ended up with double the number of records even though the import settings were supposed to "create new posts from records newly present in your file" and "update existing posts with changed data in your file".

I contacted WPAllImport team, but since WPML is also involved they recommended me to get in touch with you as well.

January 30, 2019 at 8:21 am #3142581

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi there,

Welcome to our Forum,

Can you please share the import files both the original and translation through a dropbox link or Gdrive I will try the import on my local environment and let you know if there are any issues.

Before that, I would like to confirm whether followed steps mentioned in the documentation here https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Kind regards,
Raja

January 31, 2019 at 9:23 am #3146911

bogdanK-4

Hey there,

Please see below the link to the import sample (it includes all languages in it, each translation import used different columns to accomodate the different language where needed, some info was the same).

hidden link

We have used the recommended options as described by the linked tutorial with the exception of automatic matching record to translate (as it wasn't obvious it was required in the import options), but this did not impact first time imports as they were correctly assigned to their translation language - issues only show up at content update through a subsequent import.

Thanks!

January 31, 2019 at 12:22 pm #3147830

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for the file, But for a successful import we need the CSV data for the languages in different files. Could you please split the CSV files for each language in order to WP All import and WPML All import to properly match the posts and update already existing posts.

During import, the default language should be imported first followed by the secondary language.

Let me know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Raja

January 31, 2019 at 6:54 pm #3149446

bogdanK-4

Hey there,

I can split the file, but I don't see the reason for it as the import seems to function properly from the same source file (it shows as two different language imports - please see the attached image).

Archive with files split by language here:
hidden link

February 1, 2019 at 8:50 am #3150757

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

Sorry i missed getting the custom post type codes as well. I think its better to test this on a clone of your site. Do you have a staging or test environment or do you need help in that we can clone your site in our private server and we can work on the issue without disturbing your live site.

Let me know if it is okay for you, I will send the details in the next private reply.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 1, 2019 at 11:29 am #3151445

bogdanK-4

Hey there,

I can clone the site to provide a testing environment (currently the dev site is a local site).

Thanks.

February 1, 2019 at 11:54 am #3151485

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

Thanks for the information, I have sent a private reply with all the details, Kindly check my previous private reply.

let me know once the clone is complete.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 1, 2019 at 2:19 pm #3151945

bogdanK-4

I can provide access to our dev site so we don't clone the entire site. Let me know how I can pass you the details. Thanks!

February 4, 2019 at 6:37 am #3156417

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi,

I have enabled private reply for you, You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 4, 2019 at 3:01 pm #3158253

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi there,

Here are my findings.

- The Import file has several duplicate records and hence only 577 records are imported which is clear for us

- I'm not sure whether you choose Existing item on step 1 during the update or a new item while trying to update the English program again

- I have also noticed that the previous imports also missing the URL and program name fields

- I would recommend import the posts (programs) from scratch delete all the existing posts in programs post type and start with a new import process

- While importing on step 2 choose the template 'edmunCutomimport' from load template dropdown at the bottom of the page, I have saved the template to match all the custom fields, categories, and unique id.

- If you still got the duplicate entry record and not all the posts are imported try the steps again with "WPML All import plugin"deactivated, Can you import all the posts? if you still see the error kindly check with WP All import team for clarification.

- It seems your previous import has disconnect translation it might be due to the translation is not connected while import. the unique id should be specified to the translation import (check the attached screenshot)

Kindly let me know the results. If you need further assistance please write back,

Kind regards,
Raja

February 4, 2019 at 3:53 pm #3158506

bogdanK-4

Hey there,

Thanks for the updates, I'll try to clarify some of the questions below:
- yes, the file has some duplicates as the same program is associated to multiple domains/subdomains so it needs to be updated as such (i.e. imported twice, once in domain1 and once in domain2 - not sure if there is a better way to do it than this)
- at first import I chose create new, while at the subsequent import I chose update (even though the behavior seemed to be identical in either of the two cases, at least thats what the options and results seem to suggest)
- the missing URL seems to come from a lack of support from WPAllImport to add data into custom tables (as is the case with Pods.io and their custom table storage) - this might be fixable with a third plugin to connect the two
- yes, I am trying to find the ideal import setup so that I can do it in one go and ideally won't have to update it later on - but I've looked at your import settings and can you detail them a bit for me as I am not clear what each of those options mean
- there's still duplicated records (i.e. the EN programs are now 3x577 in the programs list due to the duplication that doesn't delete the existing programs even though the option is activated)
- yes, that option wasn't obvious initially to me, but I will make sure it will be selected in the next imports

Thanks again for your help, please help clarifying the import options so I make sure they're properly setup when we do the big import.

Best regards,

Bogdan

February 5, 2019 at 4:37 am #3160371

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hey There,

Thanks for the clarification,

If the programs have multiple domains then while creating CSS file you can add the domain name separated by a comma. like domain1,domain2. and the same can be done for college, subdomain etc. By this, you can eliminate the duplicate. And this is the primary reason why the import is not as expected.

WP All Import has custom field support in my import I have included all the fields. You don't need a third party plugin for this.

Please note each language should be imported separately and doing it from the single file will lead to disconnected and duplicate imports.

Please check the video for the explanation about the options hidden link

Fix the CSV file by removing the duplicate entries, match the domains to programs separated by a comma and try the import clearing all the existing records.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Raja

February 5, 2019 at 12:39 pm #3161844

bogdanK-4

Hi Raja,

Thanks a lot for the details and the screencast, it's much clear now. I will prepare the import based on these recommendations and test it out and let you know about the outcome.

I have one more issue to solve with WPAllImport, i.e. their lack of functionality of importing custom fields into separated wordpress tables (because the Pods data is in custom tables to reduce the overhead on the wordpress meta tables).

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Bogdan

February 6, 2019 at 5:23 am #3164250

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Hi Bogdan,

Glad that my explanation helped to clarify the issue.
I wish your issue will be solved soon. WP All import team will help you with the primary import. let me know if you find difficulty in importing the translation.

Kind regards,
Raja