This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: We just configured WooCommerceMultilingual (as art of WPML). I noticed an inconsistency on the WooCommerce Multilingual Store URLs page, see attachment. For the 'shop' the source language is swedish and the trabnslation English, whereas for all others it's the opposite.

Solution: there's no problem if the source language is Swedish. There's no issue if you have a different language as source. Regarding the part where you'd like to use the same slug on every language, I would personally use a different one (based on language) due to SEO reasons. This way, search engines (like Google) will index your products a bit better due to the URL that's translated for each language. Last but not least, the slug for the shop page should be shop if the product base is product. Basically, you should make sure that you don't have two slugs with the same value.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by joostv-21 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 12, 2019 at 10:23 am #4560197

joostv-21

Tell us what you are trying to do?
We just configured WooCommerceMultilingual (as art of WPML).
I noticed an inconsistency on the WooCommerce Multilingual Store URLs page, see attachment.

For the 'shop' the source language is swedish and the trabnslation English, whereas for all others it is the oposite.

1. Is this harmful or unwanted (I think its unwanted, but you probably know beter)
2. How can I align this? The site contents is originally made in Swedish, and English is now added. But I am thinking to move over to English being the source language once we have everything properly translated. The reason for choosing English as source is that translations from/to English to other languages are much better in regular translation services like the one from Google. I can only limitly use the WPML service because my pages are build using a pagebuilder.
3. I prefer to have the same slugs for every language (in order to always be able to refer to the same URL), BUT: I would like to verify with you if this is also the way-to-go according to you? Why should or shouldnt I do that?
4. What is your advice regarding the shop base slug. I would say that it is 'shop', and not 'product' but I have no clue what the consequences are.....

Site: hidden link

September 13, 2019 at 7:59 am #4566281

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey,

First thing first: there's no problem if the source language is Swedish. There's no issue if you have a different language as source.
Regarding the part where you'd like to use the same slug on every language, I would personally use a different one (based on language) due to SEO reasons. This way, search engines (like Google) will index your products a bit better due to the URL that's translated for each language.
Last but not least, the slug for the shop page should be shop if the product base is product. Basically, you should make sure that you don't have two slugs with the same value. Also, keeping the slugs as simple as possible (or the default values) is a good idea too since these are some values selected based on the best practices of having a shop (I hope this makes sense).

Please let me know if this responds to all of your questions or if you still have any other questions on this subject 🙂

Thanks,
Radu

September 13, 2019 at 8:10 am #4566383

joostv-21

Hi Radu,

Thank you for your reply. I do have some follow-up questions.
1. Regarding the different source language for 'shop'. I notice the slug for 'shop' (is I use 'shop' as base) in Swedish is 'shop'. In the English translation it is also 'shop'. So based on your advice to have different slugs for different languages, I should change either of the two. The translated slug for 'slug' in Swedish should then be something like 'butik'. Where can I change that?

2. Next to that I prefer to set the source for all slugs to the same language. Either English (preferred) or Swedish. How can I do that?

3.Re. different slugs per language. Some languages result in the same slug. Eg. the english 'product' will result in 'produkt' in e.g. Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, etc... That would mean I would have to adapt those slugs manually in order to differentiate per language. On the other hand, if I take the same slug for every language, the language indicator "?lang=sv" or "?lang=en" should ensure every page has a unique (language dependent) url, so SEO should be good anyway?

September 13, 2019 at 9:21 am #4566953

joostv-21

mm, I guess I missed some basic SEO rules.
Working on that now.
And found how to translate the shop slug for swedish (on the page, duh! 😉 )

I think my questions are answered.....

September 13, 2019 at 10:15 am #4567345

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey,

I'm glad to hear that you managed to sort things out. Well done!

If all the questions from this ticket are fixed, you can mark it as resolved. Also, if you have any other question or issue, feel free to open a new ticket, and we'll take care of it in no time.

Regards,
Radu

September 13, 2019 at 10:17 am #4567353

joostv-21

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!