Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The ""Incorrect hreflang implementation" error is displayed on the Google Console.

Solution: See the source code of your website and verify that the hreflang tags are correct.

If you have made changes recently on your site, wait a few days until Google re-index your site.

Relevant Documentation: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jurgen 4 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
September 26, 2016 at 8:09 am #1099498

Jurgen

I am trying to: get no Google Console errors

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: no Google Console errors

Instead, I got: "Incorrect hreflang implementation" error at Google Console

Steps to duplicate the issue: N/A

It was a long time ago that we did some updates on this particular project, so now we are on WPML 3.5.1.1 (WP 4.6.1 - Woo 2.6.4). Now we got this "Incorrect hreflang implementation" error at Google Console and I found this work around: https://wpml.org/errata/hreflang-links-output-is-wrong-in-some-installations/ . Should we implement this (as it mentions that it should be solve at WPML 3.3.6... Should we update WPML tot 3.5.3 to solve this (I am waiting for your feedback before doing that + updating the other WPML plugins too).

From Google Console:
1/ (original) hidden link (alternative) hidden link
2/ (original) hidden link (alternative) hidden link

Please advise what to do (or to contact Woo or theme author...). Thanks!

Best regards,
Jurgen

September 26, 2016 at 8:37 pm #1101136

Bruno

Thank you for contacting us.

The errata page you posted is old and the problem has been resolved.

Looking at the pages of your site I can not see the problem with hreflangs tags. The tags appear to be correct. I'll attach 4 pictures for you to see.

In the pictures, you may notice that the hreflang tags are added to pointing to the correct link.

Any other error message is displayed? The implementation of these tags are correct.

Thank you.

September 27, 2016 at 5:18 am #1101670

Jurgen

That's the only message we have... Actually I don't understand the issue either because when I look at the link Google refers to, I don't think there is anything wrong: hidden link

What would you advise us to do? Thanks!

September 27, 2016 at 1:32 pm #1102708

Bruno

That seems a little strange, because as I showed above, the hreflangs are displayed correctly and are linking to the correct links.

This may have been an error at the time that Google has indexed your site. Please, wait a few days to see if the error message will persist.

Also, as this should not be related, as hreflang are correct, you can update WPML. This should not affect hreflang of your site and this should continue to be displayed correctly.

If the problem persists, please let me know.

Thank you.

September 28, 2016 at 7:01 am #1103353

Jurgen

OK, we'll see if the error returns. Thanks for checking!