This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jillT 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
February 28, 2020 at 1:41 pm #5585765

jillT

Hi

I would like to have completely seperate and independantly editable menus per language.

I have tried creating a menu, setting its theme location and setting it as a translation of the base menu. However it does not reflect on the frontend the menu inside the admin for the language and at times changes in one language are propagating through other languages.

This doesn't seem the expected behaviour to me so I would like to know please, is it possible to have independantly editable menus and if so what is the correct workflow to follow?

February 28, 2020 at 4:28 pm #5587407

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Jill,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Please check the following doc: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#option-1-translating-menus-manually

If you use "Option 1" the menu will always be independent. Only "Option 2" will synchronize them automatically.

Could you please provide more details about what exactly is happening on your site?

Please let me know

Best Regards
Marcel

February 28, 2020 at 6:17 pm #5587879

jillT

Hi Marcel

Thanks for getting back to me and providing the link for expected behaviour.

I have just created a ja menu following option 1 in the link you provided. I populated it with 1 item as a test. On the frontend the en menu is pulled through however and the ja menu is ignored. Is there any cache or anything I can flush?

March 2, 2020 at 8:32 am #5597423

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

does it work if you switch your Theme to a default one like TwentyTwenty? Please create a full backup before switching Themes.

We have a Language switcher cache in WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting, but this will normally solve only missing languages in the language switcher. But you can try it here as well.

Please let me know.

Best Regards
Marcel

March 3, 2020 at 1:38 pm #5608355

jillT

Thanks for the suggestions Marcel.

Just wanted to update that after some digging turning on 'Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality' resolves the issue. From what I understand that setting relates to hard-coded IDs so not exactly sure what the correlation is but it does seem to fix it!

I'm suspecting the args to the wp_nav_menu call used in the theme aren't quite lining up with what WPML wants and that may be why it doesn't work without the above setting, but it's a total guess and I haven't had a chance to test that yet!

March 3, 2020 at 6:29 pm #5610667

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Jill,

yes this could be. When you use the "Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality" option, WPML will automatically try to convert IDs from the default language to the current language. If your theme has hard-coded IDs, or you specify IDs in the Admin panel, it will make those IDs adapt per language.

I can't see which Theme you use. If it's if it's a popular Theme I can check for more details.

If you use a custom Theme which hard-coded values you will find more information here: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/creating-multilingual-wordpress-themes/language-dependent-ids/

Best Regards
Marcel

March 5, 2020 at 10:23 am #5624133

jillT

Cheers Marcel

It is a bespoke theme with a large codebase, there shouldn't be any hardcoded IDs in the theme but it's possible somebody has hooked in and done something that has interfered with normal operation.

Thanks for your help, it's working well at the moment, if I have more time I will look into it a bit deeper 🙂