Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
October 10, 2019 at 12:20 pm #4730183

florinD-3

I am trying to: index the website in german, for the german speaking people and english for the english speaking ones

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: just type in kathavinum in google and you will see that it is in english, but it should be in german, at least for the german speaking people

I expected to see: the german indexed google page

Instead, I got: the english indexed google page mixed with the german

BTW: i tried to search for the archive zip of the duplicator but I didnt find it, where can i find it next time?

BR

October 10, 2019 at 7:34 pm #4733761

Bruno

Thank you for contacting us. This may be because you are using the redirect feature automatically.

We have documentation that explains how and why this can happen: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/

Potential Interaction with Google Indexing

As of 2015, Google follows all redirects, including those implemented in Javascript. This may cause Google to think that your content permanently redirects to content in other language. Read more about how browser language redirect affects Google Indexing (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/how-browser-language-redirect-affects-google-indexing/).

Could you please disable this option and then wait a few days to see if the issue will be resolved? To do this, follow the steps below:

- Click on the WPML > Languages > Browser language redirect
- Select the "Disable browser language redirect" option
- Click on the Save button

After that, wait a few days and see if your site is being indexed correctly.

Thank you.

October 28, 2019 at 4:41 pm #4841751

Bruno

Hello,

My colleague Mihai contacted me to reopen this ticket.

About the problem you are talking about, please let me know what words you are looking for on Google so we can test and verify the problem. Depending on the terms you use, Google will simply display the results it finds most relevant.

At the moment I tested your site name with some terms: "wine" and "about me". Both returned the correct description in English.

Thank you.

The topic ‘[Closed] Indexing language for google is english, not german’ is closed to new replies.