This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jasonS-17 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 23, 2019 at 9:01 pm #4626653

jasonS-17

Hi,

Our hosting provider took our site down yesterday due to an influx in SQL queries affecting the server.

It may not be related, but i did the query of concern that got spammed referred to the custom language flag used in our WMPL setup

Query | 0 | Sending data | SELECT post_id FROM ifm_postmeta WHERE meta_key = '_wp_attached_file' AND meta_value = 'flags/us.png | 0.000 |

and co-incidentally the currently needed WPML core update changelog includes this
Improved the logic for handling custom flag image upload by using WordPress native API instead of custom code.

* I haven't updated to this version yet as this specific update isn't tested with WordPress 5.2.3, only 5.1.1

Any help on preventing this SQL issue from occurring again is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

September 24, 2019 at 6:16 pm #4633429

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

I will check about this with our team for the expert opinions. But one doubt about the following. You have not upgraded to WPML 4.2.8, because it is not tested with WordPress 5.2.3? From where you have got this information.

I haven't updated to this version yet as this specific update isn't tested with WordPress 5.2.3, only 5.1.1

We will test all the plugins with WordPress latest version before the release. For example please check the following link.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-multilingual/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 24, 2019 at 8:47 pm #4634121

jasonS-17

Hi Bigul,

Thank you for looking into if the issue is connected.

Within WordPress when I go to the plugins page, and view the details of the core WPML update... I get the below attached notification of it only being tested with 5.1.1

I get the same message for WPML Media, WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management.

If they have been tested and its more text wasn't updated in the update file to state it has, I'll update them now.

September 25, 2019 at 9:16 am #4637119

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. Please check the attached images. The *View Details* link will be only visible when we are using the older version of WPML. We will always test all our plugins including WPML with WordPress latest version before the release.

I am checking about this notification with our team for the expert opinion now. We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 26, 2019 at 12:45 am #4642391

jasonS-17

Hi Bigul,

That's not the view details button I meant... the "view version 4.2.9 details" where I click to check before any updated... here it mentions the available update isn't compatible.

I will run the upgrade now that I know it is compatible and this is just a messaging error in the update details content.

was there any findings if the SQL issue with the flag was connected to the API update and flag handling?

September 26, 2019 at 7:59 am #4644161

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. We are waiting for the expert opinion from our developers now. We will get back to you as soon as possible. Please wait.

Now with the latest version, you are not getting the MySQL error, am I right?

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 27, 2019 at 12:59 am #4650727

jasonS-17

I only just updated it this morning, so will monitor post update. It hadn't happened again prior to updating the plugin. Although the custom language that had the error is one only used and a few pages... so maybe it was unique isolated incident?

Only co-incidence, was the update note mentioned around custom language flags matching similar to the SQL error around the custom flag.

September 27, 2019 at 1:50 pm #4654615

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. The Query looks like an exception and does not look suspicious also. So our developers are requested to update to the latest version(4.2.9) after a full site backup and make sure it is happening or not.

You are getting the noncompatible version number because WPML plugins(for the ones only available in https://wpml.org/account/downloads/) do not have *readme.txt* file. But we will test all our plugins with the latest version. Please check the attached image for more details. We have mentioned the version compatibility in the home of WPML - https://wpml.org/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 30, 2019 at 4:41 am #4662323

jasonS-17

Great Thank you,

I'll run the updates and monitor how the site goes.

Think I understand the version number issue... but for user experience, the core update page should always show the correct information. Its would be the the default process for updating for majority of users, and was the incorrect version comparability number was the reason I didn't run updates.

Thanks as always for the great support.