Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by fernandoG-11 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
May 8, 2019 at 10:25 am #3765537

fernandoG-11

I have an ACF field group of repeater type containing several nested fields used for creating blocks of text and buttons in a vertical layout around 10-15 repeater fields high. I have completed the field group design, theme layout, content and translation without any problems. The ACFML plugin is installed and enabled (very useful!)

When I now add a new field somewhere in the middle of this repeater block, all translations below it in the sequence are untranslated, and the translations are offset by 1. For example, the content from "simple_content_sections_0_section_callouts_11_callout_link_1_title" moves to "simple_content_sections_0_section_callouts_12_callout_link_1_title"... All the way down, for about 6 fields per repeater, multiplied by 8 languages.... It's a lot of manual work to fix.

Is there any way to prevent this?

May 8, 2019 at 10:47 am #3765691

fernandoG-11

Example showing the problem:

May 8, 2019 at 11:18 am #3765893

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

I believe this is expected behavior, child fields are registered as custom fields with an index in the label, if you put a field inside children of a repeater, there is no way for the Translation Editor to know it and move the translated fields forward.

If you need this functionality, I suggest you file a feature request on our page
https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

May 9, 2019 at 5:06 am #3773129

fernandoG-11

Thanks for the quick response, I have submitted this as a feature request.

May 9, 2019 at 11:14 am #3775561

fernandoG-11

Actually I am reopening this and would like to upgrade it to a bug report. Normal WPML behavior when a standard WordPress page changes is to not update the live published translated version of the site until the translation has been updated to 100%.

The Classic Translation Editor knows that the translations have changed or are not correct because they are marked incomplete in the backend and the translation percentage is <100%. However, the frontend of the site shows the translated ACF fields anyway, in completely the wrong order - all text segments of the page are shifted around in different places, and many of them revert to English.

This is not acceptable - the plugin should not "untranslate" things or lose translations, a translated page should not show untranslated segments under normal conditions, and it definitely should not show text segments in the incorrect order and position.

Please let me know if you need any further details or screenshots from me, thanks!

May 9, 2019 at 11:54 am #3775825

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Sure. I would like more details, especially how you set the translation for the custom fields(ignore/copy/copy once/translate).

I would like to see screenshots of the frontend for:
- The wrong order of fields.
- The fields that have reverted to English.

Any other details will be of help. If you can tell exactly what steps you have taken to get the error.

Best regards,
Jamal

May 10, 2019 at 5:30 am #3781403

fernandoG-11

Thanks Jamal,

a description of the steps to take is included in my previous posts and again in the screenshots. I've included screenshots:

acfml-bug.png - shows the EN and ES versions with the bug description
acf-settings.png - shows the ACFML field translate settings
acf-field-setup.jpg - shows the ACF repeater field construction
full-page-view.jpg - shows the full rendered page with the new repeater field highlighted.

The key issue here is that the Spanish page changed (content untranslated and shifted around) when only the English content was updated.

Let me know if you need anything more.

Cheers,
Leon

May 10, 2019 at 11:58 am #3783923

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Leon,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to just confirm the issue. You said
The key issue here is that the Spanish page changed (content untranslated and shifted around) when only the English content was updated.

Do you mean that the Spanish page should not change until we update the Spanish translation?

Thank you,
Jamal

May 13, 2019 at 8:53 am #3796253

fernandoG-11

Yes, that is correct. Normal behaviour for WPML is to only update language versions when new content has been translated to 100% using the "needs update" feature. In this case, WPML untranslated and moved around the content, then published it to the live site without any confirmation in the translated target languages, which are still showing <100% translated and "needs update" in the backend.

The bug report is:
1. Do not publish changes to the existing e.g. Spanish page when I have only modified English
2. Do not shift translations around or untranslate content when inserting content in the middle of a sequence of ACF repeater fields

May 13, 2019 at 11:42 am #3797597

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback,

I am approaching our 2nd Tier about this issue for an expert view.
In the meanwhile would you like to reproduce this issue on one of our clean installs? Please use the following link to login.
hidden link

Upload ACF Pro, configure a repeater field as your website and try to reproduce this issue.

I'll be back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jamal

May 16, 2019 at 12:14 pm #3825735

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I approached our developers about this case. They are aware of this problem and they think that's not easy to fix. Fields are not indexed at all. So if you add any field between already existing in a repeater, reorder the fields, there is no information that this is this kind of action: It is similar to erasing the field and putting a new value, either if the field has moved one index forward.

The developers are working on a fix for this, but it is a heavy change and will not land very soon.

As of now, I added your ticket as a vote for this feature, and I'll inform you once it is released.

Best regards,
Jamal

May 16, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3825775

fernandoG-11

Hi Jamal,

I have uploaded ACF Pro and an export of one of the nested repeater fields that is giving me problems. I then created a page, modified the theme template and created a few basic fields using the repeater and translated them into German. I then inserted a field in the middle of the repeater field (the rocket ship) and everything got shifted/untranslated as described. Screenshot of before and after attached, feel free to play with the demo instance. I'm available any time to describe the issue in more detail.

hidden link
hidden link

May 17, 2019 at 11:18 am #3833815

Jamal
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for your collaboration. Our developers will be fixing this issue in the future. As of now, there is no estimated date for it. We don't have a workaround for the moment.
I'll let you know once it is released.

Best regards,
Jamal

July 15, 2019 at 6:24 am #4207385

fernandoG-11

Hi, just checking if there are any updates on this. The bug is driving me crazy, even the smallest change to the structure of an ACF field results in paid translations being permanently lost from the database, and the remaining translations jumbled up and immediately published to the live site....

November 20, 2019 at 10:33 am #4978687

fernandoG-11

Hello,

my comment above has not been answered, and another question I left on this blog post has not been moderated/approved.

https://wpml.org/2019/11/acfml-1-5-improves-multilingual-workflow-for-translating-system-fields/

Please update me on the status of this known issue.