This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:Installation and activation of WPML not working

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/www/www.magnatech.com/site/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/class-wp-installer.php on line 718

Solution:Please review the following errata documentation on this issue

https://wpml.org/errata/php-7-possible-issues-simplexml/

Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by daniC 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
October 18, 2017 at 4:48 am #1404179

daniC

What do you think

I am trying to: Install the WPML plugin and activate it. But once it is installed and i try to activate it, i get an error message (refer to uploaded image). Once this error presents itself i can no longer log into wordpress. I have to go to my file manager using FTP to disable the WPML plugin in order to be able to log into my wordpress dashboard.

These are the solutions that i have tried already, but have not worked.

1. Made sure to have have uploaded the new version of WPML 3.8.3

2. I have increased WP Memory limit to 256M.

I really need your help because this website is urgent and needs to be ready by Thursday.

Thank you,
Jeff

October 18, 2017 at 11:35 am #1404585

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

I would need to see the detail of the error. You can see how to enable debug logging here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Go in your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Edit your wp-config.php file and add these lines, just before it says 'stop editing here':

ini_set('log_errors',TRUE);
ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);
ini_set('error_log', dirname(__FILE__) . '/error_log.txt');

This will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents.

October 18, 2017 at 2:34 pm #1404849

daniC

Hello,

So I changed the word "false" to "true"
I then added the code to the "wp-config.php file"
Now I am looking for the error_log.txt file in my site's root directory and I am not sure if this is it:

[30-May-2015 21:17:30 UTC] WordPress database error Incorrect table name '' for query DROP TABLE `` made by delete_plugins, uninstall_plugin, include('/plugins/yith-woocommerce-wishlist/uninstall.php')
[30-May-2015 21:17:30 UTC] WordPress database error Incorrect table name '' for query DROP TABLE `` made by delete_plugins, uninstall_plugin, include('/plugins/yith-woocommerce-wishlist/uninstall.php')
[17-Dec-2015 05:13:09 UTC] PHP Warning: implode() [<a href='function.implode'>function.implode</a>]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/conformities/public_html/magna/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache.php on line 3085
[17-Dec-2015 05:13:09 UTC] PHP Warning: implode() [<a href='function.implode'>function.implode</a>]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/conformities/public_html/magna/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache.php on line 3087

If this is not correct, please guide me exactly where to look for it through my FTP.

Thanks again.

October 18, 2017 at 4:33 pm #1404992

daniC

Hi again,

I think I sent you the wrong error file this morning. Please look at this one and let me know if it is what you asked for.

[18-Oct-2017 16:01:18 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/www/www.magnatech.com/site/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/class-wp-installer.php on line 718
[18-Oct-2017 16:27:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/www/www.magnatech.com/site/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/class-wp-installer.php on line 718
[18-Oct-2017 16:27:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/www/www.magnatech.com/site/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/class-wp-installer.php on line 718
[18-Oct-2017 16:28:32 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function simplexml_load_file() in /usr/local/www/www.magnatech.com/site/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/class-wp-installer.php on line 718

Thanks again and please try to help me out ASAP because we need to deliver this website by tomorrow.
I really appreciate your help.

October 18, 2017 at 7:28 pm #1405202

Bobby
Supporter

Hello ,

Yes that is the error, thank you !

Please review the following errata documentation on this issue

https://wpml.org/errata/php-7-possible-issues-simplexml/

October 18, 2017 at 7:51 pm #1405222

daniC

Hi again,

I am not very comfortable with following the steps you just sent me in regards to:
Install the package php7.0-xml using the Synaptic package manager, which includes SimpleXml.
I do not know if this needs to be fixed through the wordpress panel, the FTP, or even why we are using UBUNTU??? I am so confused.

Is it possible for you to fix this for me?

I cannot stress how important it is that I fix this issue with my site. I am a little hesitant about giving you my clients WP-Admin Panel login and their FTP Access logins because their server is a VITAL part of their business (Software developers). It has nothing to do with me trusting you or not 🙂

I am going to trust that you will be very careful in any editing you do because if anyone can fix this I am sure it is you, and I do not have the time to keep going back and forth with these tickets.

I thank you very much in advance for your all your help.

So here are the logins:
[removed]

October 18, 2017 at 8:23 pm #1405253

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

Please do not share credentials without having us open a private reply box first.

You have shared your clients site credentials on a public thread.[they were removed ]

This is not a bug caused by WPML unfortunately i will not be able to perform this for you.

If you are not comfortable with the solution here please contact your host provider and rely this information found in the errata documentation to them.

But due to access and also the issue not being related to our software but instead your server i am not able to do this for you and i believe its best to communicate with the host providers

Kind Regards,
Bobby

October 18, 2017 at 9:08 pm #1405291

daniC

Thanks again for all your help Bobby.
I contacted my client and told them they need to resolve this issue on their server.

Have a great day!

October 19, 2017 at 6:46 am #1405449

Bobby
Supporter

Glad to hear !

I will be closing this thread then and if there any further issues please dont hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Bobby

October 25, 2017 at 2:23 pm #1411545

daniC

Hi Bobby,

I am having difficulties with my contact form 7. It is working for my english version of the website but as soon as i added the french version with WPML my same contact forms that i duplicated and changed to french does not work, yet they are the same ones i used for the english version.

Thanks,
Jeff