This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
February 13, 2020 at 3:20 pm #5487487

sabian1982

I'm getting an Internal Server error.

Attached is a screenshot of an error in the backend, beyond that here is a video of the issue.hidden link

February 13, 2020 at 4:27 pm #5488189

sabian1982

Thanks for the live chat.

I will try testing with and without WPML to see what the issue is.

I did specifically highlight the following error i get within WordPress (under the WPML plugin) so it appears there is perhaps a specific issue somewhere - can you provide some feedback on this please?

Beyond that i do have a couple of additional questions (as a new WPML user).

1) where are translations stored? In WP database or on the WPML server side - i ask given the translation is done off site on WPML server.

2) I'm struggling to locate some strings - namely header navigation and elements from footer. Other examples include strings for "Search" text in search box (right hand sidebar) and "Home" text used in breadcrumbs.

Any input or help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike

February 14, 2020 at 10:06 am #5493467

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

I'll continue this ticket if it's not a problem for you.

1) A nice way to figure out what is causing the issue is by enabling a debug log, because whenever you get a 500 error out of nowhere you're likely to get it logged on the WordPress debug log which will give you more information on what happened.

Please follow the instructions mentioned on this page: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Try to recreate the problem once you have added those lines to your wp-config.php file and go to your installation's wp-content folder after you manage to recreate it and, find the "debug.log" file that should've appeared by now (it will appear if it enocunters an error in your server). if you can't understand it, send it to me and i'll help you with it.

2) Another way to make sure things are correct is to check the .htaccess and make sure that it looks as the standard one, at least while you test the issue: https://wordpress.org/support/article/htaccess/

-----------------------
Now, about your follow-up questions:

1) "where are translations stored? ..."
Answer: Both, if the translation is in a page, post, etc, then it will be stored as a normal post type in wp_post but it will be linked to the original post type (post, page, etc)

If the translation is a string from WPML > String Translation, it will be found as a MO file in wp-content/languages/wpml directory , it will be called with the domain that you can see in string translation + the locale (example: if the domain is string1 and the translation is spanish, then the file will be called string1-es_ES.mo )

2) "I'm struggling to locate some strings..."
Answer: I would suggest that you check in WPML > String Translation first, because that's likely where you will find them, but it all depends on how were these elements translated.

The header navigation elements are actually menu elements from appearance > Menus.
you can translate the menu as shown in here: https://wpml.org/it/documentazione/guida-introduttiva/tradurre-i-menu/

Try it out and let me know how it goes.

February 23, 2020 at 5:15 pm #5549309

sabian1982

I've been looking into the apache and mysql side of things.

There seems to be a number of issues however there is a specific PHP fatal errors pertaining to WPML.

[21-Feb-2020 16:52:10 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 55 seconds exceeded in /home/per/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/otgs/installer/includes/otgs-installer-autoload-classmap.php on line 12

Any feedback/help appreciated.

I am also getting a number of other apache errors although don't know if they are specific to WPML.

February 24, 2020 at 11:52 am #5553877

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

The issue that you mention above is related to the timeout value of your server, you can try increasing it (if you don't know how, you can ask your hosting support to do it for you).

Try it and if you keep having the same issue, then let me know how are you experiencing the issue (i.e: when do you get the errors, is it when you follow a specific action?

Let me know how it goes.

The topic ‘[Closed] internal server error’ is closed to new replies.