This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by daniel 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
April 2, 2020 at 10:55 am #5821315

daniel

Hello !
I would like to know if it's possible to have the same adress for the shop page & the category permalinks !
is there a way to have this for instance on my site :

Shop page: hidden link
category slug: hidden link
products: hidden link

and the same in the translated language but with musique-libre-de-droit

I tried almost everything and had really a lot of issues, and when one was solved (404 eror on products) then another appeared (shop page empty)
Is this possible or it's a wordpress system limitation ?

for now I put the category base at royalty-free-musics with an 's' and I redirect the shop page (the same without an 's') to the category base... and it's working but I would like to know if I can do better than that.

Thanks for your help
Dan

April 2, 2020 at 4:40 pm #5824875

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Maybe this plugin suits your needs?
hidden link

Let me know if this is an acceptable solution.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 2, 2020 at 7:29 pm #5826315

daniel

Well thank you for your message, but sorry it just messed up everything... now I removed it and I have ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS on all my products and I don't remember how I put my previous settings.. there is too many possible settings I'm lost... Still looking how this should be set 🙁 🙁

Please tell me you have experience with that ? if it's possible ? and what are the settings that should be set with or without this plug in ?

I think this is an option you should simplify for next versions seriously it's really complicated and we don't understand why there is 404 page or just no products on the page 🙁

April 2, 2020 at 7:38 pm #5826341

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2020 at 1:12 am #5827261

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am sorry but it seems the earlier mentioned plugin is not compatible.

Now, for the URL hidden link is seemed to work properly, but I do understand right that you wish to use here the:

Product category base: "royalty-free-music"

Now, the issue that you are mentioning seems actually not WPML related, as I found the following threads:

hidden link

Also on the WooCommerce Support page, I found this:

Note: The product Custom base setting should NOT conflict with the Taxonomy permalink settings. If you set the product base to shop, for example, you should NOT set the product category base to shop too, as this will not be unique and cause a conflict. WordPress requires something unique so it can distinguish categories from products.

Source:
https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/permalinks/

Apart from that, I can see that these pages show a 404 error:

hidden link

and the same we see on product pages.

This is actually not expected. I tried to create a Duplicator package but it seems there are issue about obtaining the completed package from the server as I receive incomplete package downloads.

I would like to test the site in a minimal setup. Would it be possible to deactivate plugins for a short timeframe and maybe switch the theme for a moment in order to check if the issue is related to another problem between WPML and another plugin?

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2020 at 3:20 am #5827987

daniel

Hello and thanks for trying to help. I succeeded in putting the settings back as it was before:

category base: royalty-free-musicS/
product base and shop base : royalty-free-music/

I don't want to touch anything on the live site now since it's a mess to put it back in the right way...

So back to my first question, do you know if it's possible to have the same shop/product/category base or it's a system limitation ?

by the way I also succeeded in creating a package with duplicator if you want to test...

but if it's a limitation and there's no acceptable trick, end of discussion I'll keep it this way and don't want to touch anything since now it's working ok....

I think a lot of people are looking to have this possibility in multilingual as I can find a lot of discussions about that...

Thanks in advance
Dan

April 3, 2020 at 8:26 pm #5835505

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Now, when I visit your Shop page I see an empty page.

I do understand right, that you would like to see all categories (category base) on the Shop page, correct?

Could you please have a look at this ticket and check if String Translation can solve this issue?

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/product-category-base/

Furthermore, surely I would like to take a copy of the site and test it on the localhost. I can log in and create a package myself if the above workaround will not fix the issue or you can provide a package for which I have enabled a private reply.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 3, 2020 at 8:38 pm #5835555

daniel

oups I didn't answer, well I would like to see the products on the shop page directly, lik it is right now... but with the same base everywhere...

April 4, 2020 at 4:31 am #5836941

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the Duplicator package.

It seems there is a kind of compatibility issue here. I will investigate the copy of your site locally and get back to you tomorrow.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 7, 2020 at 8:09 pm #5860741

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am writing to you to let you know that I left you a private message on our ticket.

Please send me a notification once you completed the task or in case you do have any questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 8, 2020 at 10:38 am #5865059

daniel

hello,
migration is done... but the url is not working is says DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

April 9, 2020 at 6:42 am #5872115

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am writing to you to let you know that it seems that the migration failed or there might be an issue with our server. As I told you I took a copy of your website and sadly I get on all pages apart from the homepage a 404 error. Today, I experienced the same issue with a different client site, which makes me think that there might be something wrong with my software.

I will test the site with different software for emulating a virtual server and get back to you soon.

Please take note that I am off office tomorrow and Friday but I will try to investigate your website and get back to you the earliest time possible or latest on Saturday.

I hope for your understanding. If testing with different software will show the same result we still could migrate a copy of your website towards our test server.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 9, 2020 at 6:47 am #5872145

daniel

Thanks for your update, no problem, I know how it can be complicated to find where the problems comes from with such big setup...

Just note that I'm also experiencing a recurring strange problem, the shop page in main language (english) from time to time is totally empty !
And just going to edit the shop page (without saving anything) solve the problem, the products come back... strange 🙁 🙁
If you need anything tell me...
Hope to hear from you soon thanks.

April 12, 2020 at 1:02 am #5890333

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

I was finally able to revise a copy of your site. First, it is not possible when using WordPress with WooCommerce to use the same slug for the category base and shop.

This is not related to WPML, as the setting on my test neither works, when our plugins are disabled.

Now, the error with the empty shop site I saw on your page as well. I did not see it so far on the copy on your site but I found some errors related to the plugin:

- WooCommerce Product Add-ons

Those errors are visible also if WPML plugins are disabled. Make sure all plugins are updated.

If the issue with the shop page occurs again, please disable this plugin for a moment and check if the issue persists.

Now, if the issue with the empty shop page occurs on default language, try disabling our plugins and check if the issue persists. If this is the case, it is not WPML related and you should contact the WooCommerce Support Team.

I hope this answered your questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

April 15, 2020 at 11:55 am #5912997

daniel

Ok not sure I understood everything, but thanks anyway...