This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by John Michael 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
April 6, 2018 at 9:53 am #1566972

ELAN42///

Sometimes it happens that we import data, or we create posts, in the wrong primary language,
then we correctly translate it into the secondary language, but the primary language will stay the "wrong" one.

This can create a few issues for example when synchronizing dates and featured images, that are not set in the language you would expect.

Is there an easy way to change primary language of an already translated post/page ?
Maybe a plugin or a tool ?

April 6, 2018 at 9:37 pm #1568029

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Currently i am not aware of such a plugin/tool but if you go your pages and access any page either default or translation , to the right of it you have a "Languages" options menu.

there you can change the language of the page/post.

IF there is a translation attached to it you will need to remove the translation from the option there then change its language and then re assign it to a specific translation if you wish.

let me know your results

April 7, 2018 at 11:29 am #1568375

ELAN42///

I explained the problem correctly, right ?

It's not "a big issue" to have primary translation wrong,
but sometimes it can be confusing for example in our cause we're not able to change publish dates for half of the posts, and this is confusing for the final user (the customer) that will manage the website in the future.

I wonder if, in the future,
it will be possible for your staff to create a plugin to do this automatically...
... I mean with a single button-click, without removing the translation and swap things,
like a "set this language as primary language of this post" button.

April 9, 2018 at 6:44 pm #1575626

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

I have submitted this idea as a feature request to our team for further consideration. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide this feedback.

Thank you for sending us this request.

April 9, 2018 at 6:49 pm #1575687

ELAN42///

Thank you 🙂

This problem is even bigger if you use WPML with Toolset or, in general, you create custom post types / taxonomies.

Thanks,
bye

July 24, 2018 at 2:39 pm #2575361

ELAN42///

Sorry if I up this post again,
but it's impossible that there is no solution for this problem.

Our customers -often- create content in the wrong language, for example Italian (their motherlanguage) instead of English (default main language in the websites we create).

We need a tool to invert / redefine main language for translated content, switching automatically the content without the need to delete and start all over again.

This is a Woocommerce, Toolset, WordPress + WPML related problem.

June 15, 2019 at 1:01 am #4024663

sashaP-2

Any updates on this feature request?

August 12, 2019 at 4:02 pm #4382165

John Michael

hello, any update for this ? this is crazy that there is no such feature yet.