This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.19 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: My database is becoming very big because of WPML.

Solution: Please follow the instructions found on the link below.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/issue-in-database/#post-3815623

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by walter-arielM 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
May 9, 2019 at 11:33 am #3775613

walter-arielM

Hi,

The database Table: "wp_icl_string_pages" has 400,253 rows and a size of: 30.06MB

The site has only a few pages, this must to be an issue.

Let me know if you need admin credentials.

May 9, 2019 at 2:40 pm #3777283

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I am opening the private area for this.

May 10, 2019 at 12:24 pm #3784133

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I reset the string caching tables using the tool in the WPML -Support area.
Did this help at all? since I don´t have a way to view your database, I need to ask for your help.

May 13, 2019 at 8:45 am #3796157

walter-arielM

Hi there,

Yes, you fixed it. Can you show me in a capture, what have you done? I need to replicate this in the production site (real website). Thanks.

May 14, 2019 at 6:51 am #3804007

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello, my name is Alejandro,

Since Yvette is currently not available, I will replace her here in the forum.
I hope this is OK with you.

As my colleague hinted, the wp_icl_string_pages table handles the string caching system we implement, so it will most likely grow again over time.

That's not really a problem, but it helps with making the site a bit faster and your server a bit lighter (it will not use as many resources) so i don't suggest you empty it that often.

Having said that, there's 1 factor that directly affects the size of this table and that you should check in order to keep a "clean" database table: Strings in the site.

There are probably a lot of untranslated strings in the site, so you might want to delete them first (if you don't need them), before doing that please do this:

-Go to WPML > String Translation > Scroll to the bottom of the site and find the "register domain" option, and select/deselect the ones you want to keep.

- In the same page, scroll back up and select the strings you don't want to keep and then just press the "delete selected strings" buton which is located right after the strings list in the String Translation Page.

NOTE: The steps i mentioned before are only recommended when you have installed and then uninstalled many plugins or themes and you want to clean your database or if you have many plugins enabled, it's not really necessary otherwise

Then, in order to empty the table, you can go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting > press Recreate ST DB Cache table (Screenshot attached as requested)

Regards.

May 14, 2019 at 7:29 am #3804279

walter-arielM

Hi Alejandro,

1) Regarding this: "-Go to WPML > String Translation > Scroll to the bottom of the site and find the "register domain" option, and select/deselect the ones you want to keep."

-- I don't see the 'register domain' option this String Translation page. Take a look at this capture: hidden link . Please send me a capture to show me how to proceed.

2) Regarding this: "- In the same page, scroll back up and select the strings you don't want to keep and then just press the "delete selected strings" buton which is located right after the strings list in the String Translation Page."

-- As you can see in my capture, there are 38,392 String. Doing this manually is a madness job. I mean, this is something impossible for anyone to do. There should be a right way to do this. Your plugin should automatically detect when a plugin is deleted and then remove automatically the translations created by that plugin (the deleted plugin). Or, there should be a button to allow us to manually fire this job (delete the translations created by the deleted plugin).
Please, tell me something about this.

Thanks.

May 15, 2019 at 11:28 am #3815623

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

1) I just attached an image of the section you requested (Auto register string for translation).

How to proceed:
a) click the "edit" button
b) deselect the domains you don't need to register ( i would disable them all and activate them when needed)

Note: remember that this doesn't mean that you will lose strings, if they were already registered then, you can go ahead and keep them, they will still work normally. if they weren't translated you can either translate them or delete them.

2) it is, yes. the plugin does allow a way to do this all at once but you might not be able to actually proceed through this path if you're on a shared hosting since it requires quite a bit of resources (even if it's just for a few seconds) and the hosting's configuration will probably not allow you to do this and you'll end up crashing your site for a few seconds.

There's a way to do it on the database, which is explained in this ticket:
1) https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-find-delete-waiting-for-translations-strings/#post-1244576

And then in the next answer (of my colleague) in the same ticket which is found here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-find-delete-waiting-for-translations-strings/#post-1252791

Please make a backup of your database before proceeding, though!

I can do that for you if you first deregister the string domains you don't want and then confirm you have backed up your site and that i can proceed with the database procedure.

Let me know.

May 20, 2019 at 5:50 pm #3849449

walter-arielM

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!