This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 5, 2019 at 7:20 am #4148339

EAST WEST

Hello,

I run a Real Estate website with multiple languages and the main language is English.
So, I first upload my content in the main language and then I upload the second one (e.g. Greek), choosing it to be a translation of the main as you show on the tutorial.

The issue here is that when I update the translated content, all images on the main language are being removed except from the featured one, but when I update the main language, the others are not being affected.

*This problem is currently not visible on my website because I haven't updated the translations.

Thanks for your time!

Kostas

July 5, 2019 at 8:01 am #4148789

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Kostas,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

The issue here is that when I update the translated content,

May I ask how do you do this? Does it mean that you don't use WPML translation editor, but use manual translation approach?

In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

It would be great if you could create one property for me to test and translate it, allowing me to check the issue directly ( I will update translation and see what's happening with the original).

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 9:46 am #4149811

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I am sorry but I can't create an example right now, because the case is really sensitive and I'm afraid it will mess up all my properties and it takes a long time to restore them...

I must admit that I completely understand the stance, once I have entered the site and seen these exports. This is not something we can easily test. However, there are two things that come to my mind right now:
- do you think it will make any difference if you change this setting (this is for the Greek import) - if you decide to choose "Don't touch existing images, append new images" instead of "Update all images"?
-- however, since we are not supporters for this plugin (All Import Pro), I can only guess what difference would this make
- another thing is that we could test this on a clean installation - I'm talking about scenario with translations first, as this would give us a clue whether this is some sort of a compatibility issue and not something related to the imports (in the way you have it set)
-- I would create a clean WordPress installation where you would install the theme and try translating property there to see if the issue is reproducible.

Let me know if you're interested in trying that and I will set up the sandbox for you.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 10:26 am #4150293

EAST WEST

At first I contacted the wp all import guys and they brought me here cause they had no answer on this problem.

Well, I've already thought of appending new images, but if append means re-upload, this might double the the data size and also it would probably create another issue on the next attempt to update the existing properties.

If you could create a sandbox for me, it would be great and I'm gonna set up the rest for you, so we can test it with no fear. 🙂

July 5, 2019 at 10:59 am #4150453

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Here it is - feel free to configure WPML and install your theme, try creating a property and translate it. However, I'm still puzzled a bit how exactly would we modify the translation. This can only mean that we would not be using WPML interface, which is something we can disable for specific post or the whole posts type group. I can see this as the only way how we can do it.

Hopefully this is how imports also work on your setup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 12:02 pm #4151157

EAST WEST

Hey Bruno,

Well, I feel stupid right now but, where do I have access from?

July 5, 2019 at 12:15 pm #4151239

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I apologize - it was my mistake! I forgot to provide credentials for the sandbox site:
Login: hidden link
Username: demo
Password: ykMhE9b8J6D4

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 12:27 pm #4151299

EAST WEST

Hey,

Don't worry it's ok!
Thanks a lot for your support so far.
I'll keep you informed when I get everything done, hopefully on Monday morning.
Until then, have a great weekend!

July 5, 2019 at 12:59 pm #4151433

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Sounds like a plan, I will be around. Enjoy the weekend as well!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 8, 2019 at 9:16 am #4160485

EAST WEST

Good morning Bruno,

Well now I'm confused...
I set everything up, I imported some properties to test on both english and greek, following exactly the same process i use on my original site and everything looks to work perfect.
I think you need to have a look at this and please correct me if i did something different, but I'm pretty sure I did the same thing!
Quick example: go on sandbox, choose property MS3100 and switch language.

Things are getting more confusing for me, I hope we can figure something out from this...

July 8, 2019 at 10:59 am #4161475

EAST WEST

I noticed something.
Although on sandbox Greek is appeared to be translation of English, on my official website Greek is appeared to be an individual language (Like English and Greek are two different main languages), but I still can't find the reason.

July 8, 2019 at 11:26 am #4161883

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

The issue here is that when I update the translated content, all images on the main language are being removed except from the featured one, but when I update the main language, the others are not being affected.

Did you test this scenario on the sandbox as well, or only performed the original import ( which seems to be working from what I see also)?

Although on sandbox Greek is appeared to be translation of English, on my official website Greek is appeared to be an individual language (Like English and Greek are two different main languages), but I still can't find the reason.

Indeed, I see this too. Most likely during the initial XML import, something has gone wrong ( or has not been done right) and originals were never connected with translations. However, I'm not sure that this would explain why images get deleted on originals. But when I checked this thing more closely, I think this is the case only for some of the properties:
hidden link

For example, you can see that most properties here do in fact have translations - English ones.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 8, 2019 at 12:37 pm #4162427

EAST WEST

As i see right now, I think the best I can do is to erase and rearrange everything. -_-
I tried to avoid this but I don't think theres another way...

July 8, 2019 at 1:24 pm #4162893

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Have you seen my question in the previous reply?

"Did you test this scenario on the sandbox as well, or only performed the original import ( which seems to be working from what I see also)?"

Because what if the issue is not related to the some products not being connected? What if the issue is somewhere else - perhaps in the way your export works? Maybe there is some subtle difference in your site setup and the sandbox or the way the whole import process is being done?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 9, 2019 at 1:10 pm #4170995

EAST WEST

Hey,

(About the original site)
I was wrong, Greek is actually translation of the english import as you see on the screenshot below.

Maybe there is some subtle difference in your site setup and the sandbox or the way the whole import process is being done?

In my opinion there are lots of things messed up on this website because it was developed by someone else before I joined the company and he's no longer on our team. If it was me I would change almost everything, but I'm still awaiting an approval so I can take action.

Anyway sandbox showed us that there's nothing wrong with the plugins.
So, here's a temporary solution even though I still can't get why this worked.
If I execute the Greek import first and then the English one, images are being attached correctly.

In other words, what on sandbox works right, on the original site works the opposite way.
This is a new "Why" for me now.