This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
July 2, 2019 at 9:11 am

silmikko

Hi guys,

I have a translator doing the job and he has ran into some issues with the Media Translation. He is using Translation Management to do the job. He hasn't finished the job though. Please, see the screen shot behind the link below:

hidden link

When doing that shown above is still having images shown that are translated and are not translated. It looks like the filtering isn't working. Please, see the screen shot behind the link below:

hidden link

Then, I have a lot of images on my Front-page but at the translation there aren't show any:

hidden link

Then this page opens:

hidden link

I have a similar kind of situation on some other pages too, but some of those has some images in the translations. The image are shown on the secondary language site though. Is there something wrong or is this as it is supposed to work?

Then the last one. Please, see the image uploaded to this message. This is a message the translator was shown. Neither or us really understand the message. We understand the words but not really what it means on the site. I have no clue where or when he was shown the message. Can you explain it to me please.

I have deactivated the plugins and the issue remains, cleared the caches too.

mikko

July 2, 2019 at 11:13 am #4126183

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hi Mikko,

In this case the behavior seems to be correct, because if you go to WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation you will find that the 'When uploading media to the Media library, make it available in all languages' option is selected. This means that even without a manual translation the image will be available to all languages.

Regarding the message: It seems that the translator finished to translated an image so the system throws this warning that means that if you were using this same image in another post the changes (translation) won't be applied unless you manually edit the post. This image translation will only be available for future uses.

This happens because if you translate an image via Translation Management the posts that already have this image won't be refreshed at database level.

Please let me know if you need further assistance and I will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos

July 2, 2019 at 1:53 pm #4127571

silmikko

Hi Carlos

I have quoted you below and have my marks and question following the quotation.

"In this case the behavior seems to be correct, because if you go to WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation you will find that the 'When uploading media to the Media library, make it available in all languages' option is selected. This means that even without a manual translation the image will be available to all languages."

So, if I unselect this option then the filtering will work? But only with the images I upload after the unselection? For the future, what do you think is better option for this?

"Regarding the message: It seems that the translator finished to translated an image so the system throws this warning that means that if you were using this same image in another post the changes (translation) won't be applied unless you manually edit the post. This image translation will only be available for future uses."

So, to have the changes to the existing images, I need to replace the old ones with the one that has this translation? But, as I am not able to do the translation before I have some content in my primary language, does this mean that always, when translating the content and "old" images I need to manually change the existing image to a new one (sorry for my poor English here). But if I first upload the images, do the translation and only after that write any content on the page and add the images only then? Is this how I need to do in the future? As now, I just need to replace the image again? Sorry for this. I hope you get what I'm trying to ask : /

"the system throws this warning that means that if you were using this same image in another post the changes (translation) won't be applied unless you manually edit the post."

Do I replace the image on the primary language version or the secondary language?

mikko

July 2, 2019 at 3:22 pm #4128399

silmikko

Hi Carlos,

Here is what my translator asked me to ask you:

"Just to clarify, we are now translating images that are not included in the pages but are just uploaded to the media library, and as far as we understand, these images need to be translated in the Media Translation section. Images that are part of the pages have already been translated when the pages were translated, but we assume that the same images are also available in the Media Translation section? Is that what you refer to in the comment “This happens because if you translate an image via Translation Management the posts that already have this image won't be refreshed at database level.”? Does WPML show the warning “Any changes you make to the text here will not affect any previous publications of this media on your website. This edited version will only appear if you select it from the library to be embedded.” for all images, even if they are not part of any pages (or posts)?

And if you could explain the logic of the filters in the Media Translations view, they do not seem to work. E.g. what does “Needs media file translation” mean?"

mikko

July 2, 2019 at 4:39 pm #4128799

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Mikko,

I kindly ask you to visit this link and suggest your translator to do the same, in this link you will find our official documentation regarding media translation and the recommended way to translate media using WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/media-translation/

Best regards,
Carlos

July 2, 2019 at 4:44 pm #4128865

silmikko

Hi Carlos,

Yes, we have been reading that page but have trouble anyway. We need to read that more carefully then.

mikko

July 2, 2019 at 4:46 pm #4128891

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Mikko,

Please read more carefully the documentation and let me know if you need further assistance.
Regards,
Carlos