This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
September 12, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Georg

I am trying to: Offer portfolio items in German and English (primary language). See the enclosed screenshot for the translation settings of portfolio items.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link – English works, German not.

I expected to see: The German portfolio when clicking on the German flag in the menu

Instead, I got: a 404 page.

September 13, 2019 at 12:57 pm #4568723

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

1. Can you please let me know if you were able to follow the steps here successfully:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/using-wpml-with-the-avada-theme/#translating-other-pages-posts-custom-post-types-and-taxonomies

2. From what I can see, the portfolio is translated and it should load at this link (hidden link) but instead, we receive that error.

If you followed successfully the steps in the documentation, can you please try this:

- Create a full website backup first
- Disable all the non-WPML plugins and see if the issue is still happening

3. If the issue is still happening, please enable (set to true) the WordPress debug mode and let's see if we receive any extra error on that translated portfolio page (https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/#wp_debug)

Also:

a. I have noticed that your website’s WP Memory Limit is 40MB. The WP memory limit needs to be increased as the minimum requirement for WPML is 128Mb WP Memory Limit: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

❌ Very important: please make a backup of your site (files & database) before following any of the upcoming steps ❌

Please add this to your wp-config.php file to increase WP memory:

/* WP Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so, if that’s the case, I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

b. We need to increase the MaxInputVars to 50000 - currently, you have them set at 1000.

For this, please try to set this variables in your php.ini:

max_input_vars = 50000;
suhosin.post.max_vars = 50000;
suhosin.request.max_vars = 50000;

You may need to contact your hosting provider to set them.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

Please let me know how it all goes.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei