This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 8.71 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Issue with the fast growing icl_string_pages table.

Solution: The issue has been fixed since the version 3.5.2 of WPML plugins.

Make sure that the latest WPML plugins installed on your site.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by marcelloD-2 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrey.

Author Posts
September 8, 2016 at 11:28 am #1068204

joand-2

Dear all,

My site is also affected by the uncontrolled growth of the wp_icl_string_pages table. This table has already several million records and growing to the point that UpdraftPlus backup plugin kills my server when trying to make a backup.

However I keep my server always up-to-date, and I am running version 3.5.1.1 of the plugin and also latest version of all the addons since available.

I've read that this version should fix this issue and related ones but it clearly does not in my case.

Please can you help me?

Website url is hidden link

Thank you in advance
Joan

September 8, 2016 at 2:02 pm #1068913

joand-2

Hi guys,

Just so you know, the table has grown to 6.176.457 records totalling 278.8 MB of data plus 169.0 MB of indexes, so almost 448 MB in size! (total DB size is around 450MB)

The site is slow but the real problem is that I'm no longer able to make a backup.

I understood that 3.5.1.1 would trucate this table, right?

Thank you

September 8, 2016 at 6:29 pm #1069408

Andrey
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Russian (Русский )

Timezone: Europe/Kiev (GMT+03:00)

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble with this!

Yes, this version supposed to help with the fast growing icl_string_pages table but in some cases we still observing this.

Our development team is working on adjusting this and soon we should have better improvement.

Currently we have a new beta plugins with some improvements about this. If you have a test site, I would suggest trying the beta plugins and check the results.

The beta package can be found here:
https://wpml.org/download/cms-beta-package-2/

Also, you can try to deactivate and re-activate the WPML String Translation plugin, this action should truncate the table.

Let me know how it goes.

September 8, 2016 at 9:14 pm #1069581

joand-2

Dear Andrey

I installed the latest beta (3.5.2 beta2) and the issue is resolved. The update got rid of the big table and has been shrinked to about 60 KB, as it should be.

Website is up and running and I was able to backup it up again

Looking forward to the final 3.5.2 version upgrade soon!

Thank you

September 9, 2016 at 10:42 am #1070780

arnoldV-2

Hi we have the same issue, with a database table growing over 1.6GB!

With this we are unable to backup the site, and therefore we are not willing to put a beta plugin on the live site.

What does this 'wp_icl_string_pages' table do and would it hurt to empty it manually, what could happen when we do that??

As this, until a regular release is the only solution to a very big and growing problem.

Kind regards,

Martijn

September 18, 2016 at 2:34 am #1085507

lawrenceL-2

At 3.5.1.1, this table is growing and contracting dynamically and it freeze my website for 0.5 days. I now disable/enable "WPML String Translation" and finally disable it as I am not using the feature. I will wait for next update.

January 24, 2017 at 1:57 pm #1189398

marcelloD-2

Same problem here, problem not solved.
What can I do??