Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
March 4, 2021 at 11:20 pm #8232403

danielZ-45

Hello,
When my browser is CN, and open Studygate.com for the first time. It will redirect me to CN, however, it will load En first.

beyond this, it only for the first time, if I type the URL again in the browser. It won't redirect me to CN.

On top of this, analytis won't show I'm visiting, studygate.com/cn, but studygate.com.

March 5, 2021 at 8:32 am #8234783

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

I am afraid that is excepted behavior since I see you have enabled the "Browser" redirect option (WPML->Languages->Browser language redirect).

WPML will do this language redirect only once and then not redirect anymore. We do this to allow visitors to still switch languages. If we always push back to the browser’s language, visitors will not be able to manually switch languages after WPML redirects them to the language set by their browser.

This single-time redirect operation resets every 24 hours (which you can change too).

Please note as of 2015, Google understands the browser language redirection and will interpret it as a redirect to another URL. If you see the ‘wrong’ languages in Google index, consider disabling the browser language redirection.

Please check our documentation for more info:
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/
- https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/how-browser-language-redirect-affects-google-indexing/

I hope I was helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way, I'll gladly help you.

Regards,
Drazen