This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
August 13, 2019 at 9:01 pm

johnK-27

I am trying to:
Create a base-page heavily dependent on ACF layout components (English), translate or duplicate that page (2 other languages - all ACF content is copied over to new pages) and then be able to edit and/or add content and ACF based content to this/these new pages independently of the original.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Staged page: hidden link

Whenever we try to add additional ACF-based layout components to EN-AU or EN-ZA it just disappears when we save the page.

I had created 2 other page to test both translate and duplicate:
hidden link
hidden link

-- But I cannot edit the content on the pages independently once I either trans or dup.

I expected to see:
Once I created a version for the additional languages using duplicate I expected to have the ACF content come over during duplication and then I expected to be able to edit the pages independently but still have the pages act as if they were connected in the language selector in the main navigation.

Instead, I got:
Pages that are always limited to the content that is on the original English page no matter what I do.

August 14, 2019 at 12:40 pm #4394835

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- In this case you need to follow the steps described in this link: https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/translate-sites-built-with-acf/ and set the fields to 'Copy once' which will allow you to edit the fields in the translated pages.

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Kind regards,
Carlos

August 14, 2019 at 4:15 pm #4396603

johnK-27

Support,

Thanks for your quick reply. I feel like there has been some improvement - but still not resolved. Steps I took this morning:

1. Set up ACF fields in accordance with the article I was given in the original response
2. Deleted ACF instances for the other languages and recopied them from the source language
3. Deleted the previously translated page in other languages and re-translated a page to test new configuration

I was able to add an additional Section to the page (ACF Clone field) - could not do this before today.

I should be able to add additional ACF components inside of that section (ACF Clone field) - but every time I do that section is removed upon saving the page.

Reminder of end goal:
Need to be able to create base pages (English), then translate those pages into additional site languages and then be able to edit all pages independently (add additional ACF fields/content, edit existing ACF based content without affecting any other instance of that page).

Please have a look at my configuration and let me know next steps.

Thanks very much in advance!

August 15, 2019 at 2:17 am #4398315

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,

Could you tell me if following this steps you are able to accomplish your goal?
- Edit a page -> Go to Languages block in the right column -> Disable the Translation Editor for this page (if this steps work then you can disable the Translation Editor to all pages) -> Save the changes.
- Instead of translating the page, duplicate the page in the secondary language -> Then edit the page in the secondary language -> Under the Languages block you will find and option to 'Translate Independently' -> Apply that option and made the necessary changes to the translated page.

Could you tell me if this steps solved your issue?

Regards,
Carlos

August 15, 2019 at 8:24 pm #4403295

johnK-27

This method was close to being closer to a solution - but still didn't do the trick.

During the page duplication - the ACF fields/sub-fields and any associated content doesn't copy over to the new language's version of the page.

"The perfect situation" is:
1. I can create an English version of a page (highly dependent upon ACF based content)
2. I can duplicate or translate that page and have ALL associated content be copied to the new languages page
3. I can then edit all versions of that page independently and in no way dependent on the original language
4. The language switcher is completely aware of all the pages and their language versions and functions correctly to allow the user to switch between language related pages

The closest that I have been able to come is:
1. I can translate pages highly dependent on ACF content
2. I can disconnect them from each other and edit them individually
(Broken part here)
3. But then the language switcher does not work correctly because the pages have been disconnected from the source language

Please refer case to Tier 2 Support
We are at a point where a quick resolution to this issue is paramount. Each round of support takes a full day due to conflicts related to time zones.

I have granted access to the admin area of the site - please log in and make adjustments to resolve the issue.

The page that I am using as the source page for testing is "/applications-new/" - do not delete the English version of that page. But feel free to delete the other 2 language versions to test configurations and accomplish the "The perfect situation" - mentioned above.

Thanks very much in advance!

August 16, 2019 at 12:12 pm #4406207

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

In the steps you mentioned could you explain what do you mean by: "I can disconnect them from each other and edit them individually"

If you 'disconnect' the translations then the Language Switcher won't assume the pages are related. Maybe this is the problem.

I would like you to try this:
- Make sure you are not using any Translation Editor in the page. For this you just need to edit the page in the default language -> In the Languages block deactivate the 'Translation Editor' option for the page -> Save the changes.
- Then, make sure the ACF are set to 'Translate', also remember to set the system fields to 'Translate' as well.
- Once the above is finished, instead of translating the page, use the 'Duplicate' option or switch the language in the admin bar at the top and use the 'Overwrite content' button and save the changes.
- In this step you should have an original page and a page in a secondary language with the same content of the original page. At this point, if you desire to add any translation to the page in the secondary language you just need to use the 'Translate independently' option and then you are free to add the content in the secondary language.

Please let me know if you need my help to apply this steps in the site.

Regards,
Carlos

August 16, 2019 at 2:01 pm #4406833

johnK-27

Hi Carlos,

1. I if I do not disconnect the pages I cannot edit the content independently.

2. I have completely deactivated the translation editor and string plugins.

3. The first support person stated to follow very specific instructions regarding the ACF fields - using a combination of copy and copy once depending on whether or not it was a repeater or clone field - are you saying that I should now disregard that direction?

August 16, 2019 at 2:42 pm #4407093

johnK-27

Carlos,

To implement the changes that you are suggesting to the ACF fields AND the system fields - do I need to delete the additional language versions of the ACF fields - make these changes in the SOURCE LANGUAGE and then re-translate them to the other languages BEFORE doing that step? Because I think that that would be the quickest way to do that. Please let me know.

August 16, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4407167

johnK-27

The method that you describe does not copy the ACF fields over when I duplicate the English page.

August 16, 2019 at 3:09 pm #4407215

johnK-27

Support,

Please log in and make the necessary changes using the english version of /applications-new/ as the source page and the English ACF field group "Layout Components" to set this up correctly. I will then replicate on the rest of the pages and acf groups after these are working correctly.

I am available for a screenshare or phone call if you want to reach out directly via email to arrange.

Extremely motivated to get this corrected as soon as possible.

Thanks.

August 16, 2019 at 4:14 pm #4407531

johnK-27

The most recent attempt at this allows me to add a clone field to my duplicated pages. But I cannot put any ACF fields inside of that Clone field. I can also create top level ACF fields at the same level as the clone field - but I cannot change the content at all.

See AU-English version of /applications-new/ to see what I mean by Clone and top level etc.

August 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm #4407957

johnK-27

Please don't log in and attempt anything as we are trying a different tactic.

August 17, 2019 at 4:24 am #4409399

johnK-27

OK what I was trying did not improve anything. I have attempted everything that I have been asked to do without much improvement.

Still cannot add additional content once I duplicate or translate the /applications-new/ page.

Please advise.

August 19, 2019 at 5:44 am #4413593

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I updated WPML to the latest version and activated String Translation plugin and Translation Management plugin. Then I edited the 'Applications-New' page -> Followed the steps described in my previous message -> Saved the changes.

Once I finished the steps above I click on the plus symbol to translate the page to ZA English, then I used the 'Overwrite with English content' option and once the copy process finished I saved the page and this is the result: hidden link

Could you tell me if that's the behavior that you are looking for?

Regards,
Carlos

August 19, 2019 at 1:22 pm #4416337

johnK-27

I have done the steps as you mentioned. But then I cannot add content to that page. That is where the issue is. I cannot continue to add sections to this new page that did not already exist on the page this page was translated from.

There is no issue creating a page with all the content from the source page (English to ZA-EN or AU-EN).

What I cannot do is add more content to this new page. I was able to add a page section (which is an ACF clone field), I cannot however put anything inside it. I can add additional sections outside the clone field - but they will not save.

Please look for the capital letters in the image attached.