This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
November 17, 2018 at 6:02 pm #2916203

renatoJ

Dear,

I have built a multilingual website. The default language is French, the secondary language is English.

You can access to this website via hidden link.

Everything works well, excepting the review process of products.

In the Product tab of the plugin Woocommerce, I have selected the option “Permettre les avis uniquement aux acheteurs certifiés” (cf. attached file “acheteurs certifiés”). In English, that means: “Only allow reviews from verified owners”.

In other words, in this case, a visitor of the website can only make a review if he has bought a product.

This review process works well if a visitor logs in via the French part of the site. The attached "Commande" file shows that a customer has purchased a product. And the "Avis" file shows that he can do a review for the product he has bought.

This same process does not work if a visitor logs in through the English part of the site. The attached "Order" file shows that a customer has purchased a product. And the file "Review" shows that he cannot type a review for the product he has purchased.

Important : I disabled all the plugins that are not essentials and the situation did not change. Despite the desactivation of these plugins, the problem remained.

The support of WPML has been informed of this problem in June 2018: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/second-language-woocommerce-product-reviews-disabled/
And the person who has addressed this problem wrote that this issue could be fixed thanks to the latest version of WooCommerce Multilingual. I have installed the latest version of WooCommerce Multilingual and the problem is still existing.

Could you please help me to solve this problem? I thank you in advance for your feed-back.
Kind regards,
Renato

November 19, 2018 at 10:10 pm #2921097

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I've tried this on my WooCommerce test site with the latest version of WooCommerce Multilingual, and it is working fine. The user that purchased the product can leave a review in any of the site's languages.

You wrote: " I disabled all the plugins that are not essentials and the situation did not change."
1. Have you also cleared the cache on your site and deactivated the cache plugin?
2. Have you tried to see if the issue persist when the theme is switched to a default WordPress theme?
3. Could please try to do the minimum environment test this way?
Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like Twentyseventeen and no plugins activated but WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to Twentyseventeen (for example).
If it persists, then turn off all plugins but the WPML and its add-ons and WooCommerce itself but without any of his extensions.
Then please check if the problem persists.
If it does not persists so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

I look forward to your reply!

Itamar.

November 21, 2018 at 11:04 am #2926250

renatoJ

Hello,

It seems that you have tried the review process (that I have described in my first message) without having selected the following option in your WooCommerce test site: “Only allow reviews from verified owners” (“Permettre les avis uniquement aux acheteurs certifiés” in French - cf. attached file “acheteurs certifiés”).

Why? Because if this WooCommerce option is selected, I ensure you that there is a problem.

Having selected this option in my website where the default language is French and the secondary language is English:

• The review process works well if a visitor logs in via the French part of the site.

The attached "Commande" file shows that a customer has purchased a product. And the "Avis" file shows that he can do a review for the product he has bought.

• The same process does not work if a visitor logs in through the English part of the site.

The attached "Order" file shows that a customer has purchased a product. And the file "Review" shows that he cannot type a review for the product he has purchased.

Please let me now answers to your questions:

1. Have you also cleared the cache on your site and deactivated the cache plugin? Yes, for sure. I did it before sending you my first message.

2. Have you tried to see if the issue persists when the theme is switched to a default WordPress theme? Yes, I also did it. I desactived Avada and activated the one you have mentioned : Twenty Seventeen. And the issue persists with Twenty Seventeen.

3. Could please try to do the minimum environment test this way? I already did it.

The problem lies at the level of WooCommerce Multilingual.

After having desactivated Avada and all the plugins except WooCommerce Multilingual, WPML Media, WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation and WPML Translation Management. And after having activated Twenty Seventeen, I have noted that the problem still persisted.

But this time, I also have desactivated WooCommerce Multilingual, and the problem disappeared.

That means that the problem lies at the level of this WPML plugin. And, now, I know exactly the reason of the problem.

Explanation of the problem.

I have created all the products of my shop via the French side of my website and I have after translated all these products in English using WPML for that. I therefore have followed the translation rules of WPML.

But after having read (yesterday) a request support of another user of WPML who encounters the same problem on his website (https://wpml.org/fr/forums/topic/impossible-de-deposer-un-avis-produit-acheteur-certifie/), I have created a new product in the French side of my website and I do not have translated this product in English with WPML. I have created this product “manually” in the English side of my website…. And the problem disappeared. In other words, a visitor who connected via the English part of my site and purchased this product, could also type a review for this product.

Could you please help me to solve this problem. And if you can not, could you please forward my request of support to the WPML developer team?

I thank in advance for your feedback
Kind regards,
Renato

November 22, 2018 at 5:34 pm #2931684

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

When I tried I did check the option 'Only allow reviews from verified owners' in WooCommerce -> Settings -> Products (tab) and still I couldn't replicate the problem. I could give a review for the product that I've purchased in the French version of the product and the English version of the product. One thing that I'm not sure about is the following. You wrote: "The same process does not work if a visitor logs in through the English part of the site."
So I think that this step is not clear to me. What do you mean by log in through the English part of the site?

You say that your tests show you that WooCommerce Multilingual is the issue in this case. So this must be some incompatibility with WPML and WooCommerce. To check if this is indeed the case we need to see that the issue is also happening on a clean WordPress installation.
For this, I created a test website with a clean WordPress install. You can access it through this link: hidden link - Through this link, you will be automatically logged in. (If nobody logs in the test site will be available for one week from today.)
Could you please check if the issue is also reproducible on a clean WordPress installation?
Please configures WPML to the default language that is configured on your site (French) and add English as the second language.
If you can reproduce the issue on this clean installation, then please tell me the exact steps on how I can replicate this problem. Tell me please: Do 1.2.3.4...

When it is done, please let me know.

Thanks,
Itamar.

November 23, 2018 at 6:00 pm #2935164

renatoJ

Hi,

You said that the following sentence is not clear: "The same process does not work if a visitor logs in through the English part of the site." You are right.

Please, let me explain the problem via 4 scenarios. And, please, do remember that the default language of my website is French, the secondary language is English.

• If a customer logs in the French part of my website using his username and password (cf. file Connect-Fr hereby enclosed) and if he purchases a product in this French part of my website (cf. file Shop-Fr hereby enclosed), he will be able to do a review of this product in the French part of the website and in the English part of the website.

• If a customer logs in the French part of my website using his username and password (cf. file Connect-Fr hereby enclosed) and if he purchases a product in the English part of the website (cf. file Shop-Uk hereby enclosed), he will not be able to do a review of this product in the French part and in the English part of the website.

• If a customer logs in the English part of my website using his username and password (cf. file Connect-Uk hereby enclosed) and if he purchases a product in this English part of my website (cf. file Shop-Uk hereby enclosed), he will not be able to do a review of this product in the English part of the website and in the French part of the website.

• If a customer logs in the English part of my website using his username and password (cf. file file Connect-Uk hereby enclosed) and if he purchases a product in the French part of the website (cf. file Shop-Fr hereby enclosed), he will not be able to do a review of this product in the French part and in the English part of the website.

Explanation of the problem.

I have created all the products of my shop via the French side of my website and I have after translated all these products in English using WPML. I therefore have followed the translation rules of WPML.

But after having read a support request of another user of WPML who encounters the same problem on his website (https://wpml.org/fr/forums/topic/impossible-de-deposer-un-avis-produit-acheteur-certifie/), I have created a new product in the French part of my website and I do not have translated this product in English with WPML. I have created this product “manually” in the English part of my website…. And in this case, the problem disappeared.
But this is not a solution.

It you read the support request of this user, you will see that his request has been transferred to the 2nd tier support on October 11.

So, if you could not solve the problem at your level, could you please transfer my ticket to this 2nd tier support.

I thank you for your proposal to allow me try to reproduce the issue on your clean WordPress installation, but it’s not necessary. I have a webhosting containing enough space where I can create such clean installations. And I already did it. And the issue persisted.

Kind regards,
Renato

NB: WooCommerce Multilingual is a product of OnTheGoSystems that also has WPML in his portfolio : https://www.onthegosystems.com/

November 25, 2018 at 10:16 pm #2938163

Itamar
Supporter

Hi and thank you for your detailed explanation.

Indeed I can see that the other ticket that you link here above is escalated to our developers.
As you describe, it is the same issue that you are having. This issue will be fixed in a future version of WooCommerce Multilingual. When exactly our developers release the version that includes the required fix is not up-to us Supporters to determine. Each issue reported in is taken seriously into consideration. It is given a high or low priority based on a number of factors. Factors which those with the overview of all things related are in the best position to determine. I've checked our internal documentation, and this issue also revealed another problem which should be fixed by our developers, and there is no suggested workaround for this issue.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I'll keep you update here for any news about this issue.

Best Regards,
Itamar.

May 15, 2019 at 9:41 am #3814515

hectorZ

Almost 6 months later we still don't have a solution from the developer team for this issue?

May 15, 2019 at 11:53 am #3815931

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I can see that our developers have fixed this issue and that it will be added in future versions of WPML. Andres, my colleague has just recently shared with you the fix for this issue on the other ticket that you have opened here.
https://wpml.org/es/forums/topic/no-es-posible-realizar-reviews-de-producto-usando-la-web-en-el-idioma-secundario/
You would need to change the code according to Andres's instructions. Please use it with care and back your site before trying that.

Regards,
Itamar.

June 2, 2019 at 9:37 am #3937073

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

This issue is fixed with WooCommerce Multilingual version 4.6.3.
Please update WPML and its add-ons to their latest versions and check if solves the problem on this thread.

Regards,
Itamar.