This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by leeC-11 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
July 10, 2019 at 11:44 pm #4184723

leeC-11

Link to my site: hidden link

Trying to use the "Different languages in directories" option ("Language URL format") and getting the dreaded "It looks like languages per directories will not function." message

Per https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/

(1) I modified the .htaccess file to ensure WP URL rewriting

and then

(2) verified with SiteGround's customer support that the web server can access all files and directories recursively

however I'm still getting the same "It looks like languages per directories will not function." message

July 11, 2019 at 12:09 am #4184889

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. If you try to access content in the secondary language, is the URL working?

I ask this because this message may be some false-positive and actually the site may be working.

Please visit your website in the secondary language and browse the links. See if the pages are working correctly with the language by directories.

Thank you.

July 11, 2019 at 3:58 pm #4191689

leeC-11

I went back in this morning to try Bruno's suggestion and found that the message I was getting yesterday wasn't showing up anymore.

Everything works now - not sure why, but thanks just the same.