This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
July 25, 2019 at 4:10 pm #4285089

fern-yitL

I am trying to: Configure WPML

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: No error messages

Instead, I got: It looks like languages per directories will not function

July 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm #4285303

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

Please check if this article answers your question.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/

Otherwise, please check if this issue appears when:
- Only WPML plugins are activated. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with other plugins.
- The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. Its will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
- If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

If this does not help, please activate PHP debugging to see if it will catch any useful messages.
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Best regards,
Jamal

July 26, 2019 at 3:07 am #4287029

fern-yitL

Hi,

Despite the error message we ARE able to create translated pages with the desired folder structure e.g. hidden link

I can also execute curl and browse to the url (hidden link) described in the error message and see the expected result i.e. <!--hidden link; is returned (See attached image)

Therefore:-

1. Is it safe to ignore the error and assume that it's an issue with your validation method not being able complete, perhaps due to fopen being blocked in some way at our end

2. Is the fact that your validation cannot complete likely to cause other issues with other WPML functionality and therefore should be addressed?

Many thanks

July 26, 2019 at 8:55 am #4288469

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Fopen is used to perform that validation, that's why it failed. Even if you skip validation, It is not guaranteed that all features of WPML will be working correctly, some other issues may arise.
If you encounter any other issues with WPML, I'll suggest to activate fopen and check if it resolves the issue.

Best regards,
Jamal