This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by jamesT-17 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Denise.

Author Posts
August 30, 2016 at 2:20 am #1029281

bigW

I followed your steps and configured the plugin. my wordpress is hosted at godaddy.

i get an error with the URL and nothing seems to be working.

I checked all the ppints that you suggested in your solution, and everything is well configured.

I talked to the support team at godaddy, who confirmed that all is good on their side.

I updated WPML to the most recent version.

Nothing! Not working!

Here's the error message I get. Please advice. I'm stuck with this issue for several days already and I'm running late with my project !

It looks like languages per directories will not function. Details

This can be a result of either:

WordPress is installed in a directory (not root) and you're using default links.
URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file
How to fix
When WPML accesses /fr?____icl_validate_directory=1 it gets:
A valid URL was not provided.

The expected value is:
<!--hidden link;

August 30, 2016 at 7:28 am #1033638

Denise

Hi Said,

I'll help you with this. Thanks for the debug information.

I see that have pretty permalinks already enabled.

Can you please do the following:
1. Make sure that you have translations for your pages so that they can be properly tested.

2. In WPML - Languages -URL Format, Switch to Language as Parameter. Re-save Permalinks

3. Switch to Language in directoryMake sure you don't have actual directories es/ and fr/ set up

4. Make sure there are no redirects in your .htaccess file

5. Please read: https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/ and
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/

If you are still having this issue after doing the above. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site  to take  better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thanks,
Denise

August 30, 2016 at 12:54 pm #1037133

Denise

Please review your credentials. I could not get wp-admin nor ftp to work data.

August 30, 2016 at 5:21 pm #1037988

Denise

Hi Said,

Thanks. I was able to log in and isolate the issue. Although you recieve the warning that language in directories will not function, language i directories does work. You can check by going to yoursite.com/de/ I made a test translation there.

The problem is that the language switcher links are being stripped. This is happening regardless of the URL format.

Can you please add translations to your site even if they are empty pages like my test? This way I can test your site properly.

Thanks,
Denise

August 30, 2016 at 5:44 pm #1038004

bigW

Hi Denise,

Thank you so much.

I created empty pages in 3 languages and menus in 3 languages as well.

everything seems to be working.

What magic did you do? 🙂 What checkbox did you check? What happened exactly?

The error message is not displayed anymore.

Thanks,
-SR

August 31, 2016 at 2:11 am #1038645

bigW

i build another instance from scratch (digitalxyz.net) and I can't make it work. I'd love to get your trick.

August 31, 2016 at 8:09 am #1041300

Denise

I did this by flushing the permalinks:
- Make sure that you have translations
- In WPML Languages select Language as parameter and Save
-In Settings - Permalinks select Plain (first) setting and Save
- Refresh and Check to see if the language switcher is working on the front end
- In Settings - Permalinks select Postname setting and Save
- In WPML Languages select Language in directories and Save
- Re-save permalinks

August 31, 2016 at 10:08 am #1043475

bigW

Thank you Denise,

I tried it, but still have issues. I'm working on another instance to try everything from scratch by myself: hidden link

I already gave you the credentials for my entire Godaddy account. You can go to gateway.godaddy.com, and from there select the instance.

Here are the issues I have so far:

1. The URL I get is as follow: hidden link

2. For certain pages, I can't create the related pages in the other languages. As you can see in the attached screenshots, on the right hand side of the screen "Add new page", The language of this page drop-down menu is empty.

Please advice.

August 31, 2016 at 2:06 pm #1046821

Denise

Hi Said,

I see your problem. It seems that this works on your other domain because it is the primary domain. However you should not be experiencing this. I am talking to 2nd Tier support to resolve this and will let you know as soon as I have a solution.

Thanks,
Denise

August 31, 2016 at 3:29 pm #1047010

Denise

Hi Said,

I solved this issue by setting the Home in wp_otion table of your database to your url. This was unset for some reason.

Please let me know if you have any other issues.

Thanks,
Denise

September 1, 2016 at 1:20 am #1047835

bigW

Thank you, Denise. It is working. Now I'm starting another instance from scratch and I hope it will work.

November 7, 2016 at 10:56 am #1131307

adyP

Hallo Denise,

ich glaube genau diesen Fehler auch zu haben (siehe Anhang)

Ich hoffe du kannst mir helfen

Gruß
Ady

October 2, 2018 at 2:41 am #2780114

jamesT-17

Got the same error. I have tried ALL instructions given on this thread but still the error persists. Please help!