Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by patriciaP-10 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
November 21, 2019 at 4:03 pm #4990497

patriciaP-10

I am trying to translate a string that appears automatically with the recent posts. I think I've found it on Translate strings and have actually translated into Spanish but continues to appear in English in the front-end.

In the image ProblemStringTranslation-1 is where I've found the string. When I page view it, I can confirm it's the string I want (ProblemStringTranslation-2). And when I click on see in code (ProblemStringTranslation-3) it takes me to a file that is part of the Genesis Framework. I'm new to all this so I'm not very happy about touching this file and in any case I wouldn't know what to do to get it to automatically translate to Spanish when required.

Could you help me please?
Thanks!!!

November 23, 2019 at 12:36 am #5002333

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

It might be possible that we can locate this string at "translate strings in admin texts" which can be found at the bottom of the String Translation screen. Here you will need to search for the theme´s text domain and try to locate the string, mark its checkbox and scroll to the bottom to apply the changes.
The string should then show up additionally to the default strings on String Translation.

Also, please go to Theme and Plugin Localization. Right above the first box, you should see a dynamic message which shows up if WPML recognized new .mo-files. If so, make sure to generate .mo-files for all available plugins or the theme.

If this will not solve the issue, please provide access in order for me to have a look at the site.

Kind regards
Andreas

December 2, 2019 at 2:49 pm #5054721

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

December 3, 2019 at 9:57 pm #5064677

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the updates, I am Marcos from WPML Support Team, my colleague Andreas is taking another job obligations, so I will be taking care of your ticket from now on. I tried to access the WordPress Dashboard of your website, but the provided details refer to a CPanel access not suitable for the investigation process. Can you please, provide me with your WordPress Dashboard access details (the wp-admin side of your website)?

It will help me to take a detailed look at your settings in order to find the cause of your issue and this way provide you with a working solution. Thank you for your collaboration and patience, have a nice day.

December 4, 2019 at 7:47 pm #5072271

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the updates. I am unable to access the wp-admin side of your website, there's some kind of security restrictions, in order to avoid any further delay in the resolution of your issue, maybe it would be good for both of us to investigate your website using a snapshot copy of your website, for that, please consider:

To best troubleshoot the issue, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.
Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

Thank you for your collaboration. Have a nice day.

December 6, 2019 at 5:30 pm #5085437

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the updates and sorry for the missing clarifications. Regarding your questions:

"1 - I suppose you're referring to a wordpress account?"

Yes, I am talking about the username and password for a WordPress Dashboard access. It is optional and I can create it during the duplicator package installation, so don't mind it for now.

2 - "Also, could you tell me if the wordpress administrator details are the cpanel access details or the wordpress dashboard access details?"

It refers to WordPress Dashboard whenever we say about administrator access, as said you can skip this part for now, I can create a new access right in the database when dealing with a duplicator package.

The only thing you need for now is to grant access for marcos.v [at] onthegosystems [dot] com so I can download the duplicator package from your google drive properly.

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

December 19, 2019 at 7:44 am #5161231

patriciaP-10

Hello,

I would like to know if there's been some advance in this matter.

Thanks,
Patricia

December 19, 2019 at 2:03 pm #5163977

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello Patricia,

Thank you for the updates. I took a detailed look in your issue using the provided duplicator package and the reason of your issue is your custom code used in your Genesis based theme (gallery-pro). In order to have it working properly, please proceed as the following:

1 - Click to edit the 'genesis-changes.php' file from your wp-content/themes/gallery-pro/inc directory, around the lines 145-150 change the current code from:

IMPORTANT: Please, note, a backup is required for security reasons and to avoid any data loss, you can use the https://wordpress.org/plugins/backupwordpress/ plugin for these backup needs.

add_filter( 'get_the_content_more_link', 'bbs_read_more_link', 8 );
function bbs_read_more_link() {
     return '<a class="more-link button arrow-right" href="' . get_permalink() . '">Read More</a>';
}

To:

add_filter( 'get_the_content_more_link', 'bbs_read_more_link', 8 );
function bbs_read_more_link() {
     return '<a class="more-link button arrow-right" href="' . get_permalink() . '">' . __('Read More', 'genesis-custom') . '</a>';

}

2 - Now proceed to WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Theme and Plugins Localization and click to scan strings of the Gallery Pro theme.

3 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > String Translation you should be able to find this string for translation from the genesis-custom text domain.

Explanation:

WPML is only able to translate the strings entered in your code if you wrap them properly in a gettext function call, otherwise you would never see the proper string in order to translate it. The code above makes just that, register your string in a localized function with a text domain.

See:

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/
https://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

December 20, 2019 at 9:37 am #5169641

patriciaP-10

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!