This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by adriO 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
March 19, 2018 at 4:26 pm #1549903

adriO

Hi Otto, All well? I hope it is.....

I'm developing a new version of my personal site on my local machine. I try to just have a couple of pages translated, not the whole site. I tried it a couple of times and I fail to get it right. I do not want to copy a bunch of pages and other content because this will clutte rup may database.

Case is this: the site is primarily a travel blog in Dutch. A few pages are in Dutch too. The owner of the (me) site has developed a little iOs app which is available on the Apple App Store. The app is sold worldwide.

To provide some information about the app there is a page dedicated to it with a "child" page "Support forum" (see screenshot)

What I aim for is this:
When a Dutch visitor opens the page I want them the page to see as it is in the screenshot.
When a foreign visitor opens the page I want to show them a site where the menu "Anker Alarm", the content of that page and the support forum is in English. There will be a privacy statement with it's own page. I want to show the translated version of that page too.

Note that all other option has to remain in Dutch, just the Anker Alarm page, the support forum and the privacy statement has to be in English.

When, for instance, a Brazilian visitor opens the site they must be presented with a Dutch site with only the pages mentioned above in English. I'm struggling with that because most probably this Brazilian visitor does not have their browser set to English so they will presented with the Dutch site.

I hope it make sense what I'm talking about........

Please help me out with a strategy and steps to accomplish this.

Best wishes,

Adri

March 20, 2018 at 1:20 am #1550279

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Adri 🙂

How are you?

I think the best strategy for this, I hope I get it right, is the new fallback to default language option.

The need for duplicating the pages to show the default content in different languages is gone now. Not gone, but there is a better way:
https://wpml.org/2018/01/wpml-3-9-released/

With this option, you just set your content to fallback to the default language and only translate the pages that you need (without cluttering the DB).

Let me know if this points you in the right direction, please.

Kind regards,

Otto

March 20, 2018 at 5:17 am #1550353

adriO

Hi Otto, nice to hear from you.

I'm well, thanks for asking.
I tried your suggestion and it appear to be a big step in the right direction.
The translated pages are showing fine and the untranslated ones the are displaed in Dutch while the url says mydomain.com/en/dutchpage. Great!

However three things I see are wrong. (see also the screenshots)
1). The menu items of untranslated pages are not showing. Is there a fallback option as well or do I need to create menus with custom links?
2). The recent comment widget does not show any item although there are comments in Dutch. Did I miss an option to check?
3). It is very early morning here and I still did not have my coffee, bummer 🙂

I hope you can help me out with the first two, the third one I have to address myself.

Best wishes,

Adri

March 20, 2018 at 11:03 am #1550718

Otto
Supporter

Hello Adri,

Yes, a custom link is the answer here.

Comments are attached to languages. Even with translated content, you will only see the comments in the current language.

There is a third party solution to show all comments in all languages:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/merge-comments-from-multiple-languages/#post-1526860

But I am not sure if it will work with the widget.

Can you please give it a try?

Let me know your results, please.

Kind regards,

Otto

March 22, 2018 at 1:35 pm #1553873

adriO

Hi Otto,

Thank you for you reply (and sorry for my late one).

I have tested your suggestion to no avail. I think it is maybe to much outdated (7 years since last update). Therefor it didn't surprise me that it was not working.

For now, but it is not a real solution, I show the recent comments only on Dutch pages and hide them from the English ones. It is a bit of a workaround but we don't win beauty contests with it 🙂

I do have to say that it is a little bit disappointing to learn that the new fallback option is not complete. Ok, I could not find in the WPML site that it is claimed to be working on whole sites but something basic as comments in WordPress should be included. At least form a regular visitors point of view (and mine for that matter).

Are there steps taken to include it somehow in the fallback option? If not, I suggest you clap your hands, stamp your feet and let the devs do their magic haha.

Or do you have any other suggestions, they are (as always) welcome.

Have a nice day!

Adri

March 22, 2018 at 3:23 pm #1554061

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

The comments merging feature is not a problem of the new fallback option.

It is a feature already on our roadmap, but it has been neglected so far. Probably because of third-party solutions (that are no longer working)

There are some clients that prefer to show all the comments, regardless of the language on every post. Some other clients prefer to show the comments in the language of the post. Both options are valid.

So far, WPML allows only the latter option. No matter if the post is translated or if you are using the fallback option.

I will add your vote to the merging comments option. I will also clap my hands and stomp my feet, I think the feature is getting more demand lately. And makes even more sense with the fallback option.

As always, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I will keep you posted on this feature request.

Kind regards,

Otto

March 23, 2018 at 7:14 am #1554601

adriO

Great, let's wait and see.
And... don't hurt yourself clapping and stomping.... 🙂

March 23, 2018 at 12:08 pm #1554980
adriO

Hi Otto,
I stumbled into something (maybe) similar but more urgent than the other issue.

In the site is a support forum. For that forum I have activated three widgets.
1) Search, 2) Recent topics 3) Recent replies.
The widgets are set to show in all languages.

The widget for the recent topics is not showing on all of my English pages, which is my second language.
When I set the site to Dutch all widgets are showing on all pages.

Any idea?

See screenshots.

New threads created by Otto and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/widgets-are-not-displaying-in-the-secondary-language/

March 23, 2018 at 12:13 pm #1554990

Otto
Supporter

Hi Adri,

I've created a new ticket for this new issue.

I will reply here soon:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/widgets-are-not-displaying-in-the-secondary-language/

Kind regards,

Otto

March 23, 2018 at 12:27 pm #1555001

adriO

Ok, see you overthere