This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices.

Last updated by gyorgyF 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
November 29, 2016 at 11:47 am #1146370

OzgurC

I am trying to: Until today your plugin worked OK, today I ve done your plugin update to Version 3.6.0 then I ve seen a change on my site which made my site not workable anymore by users. What happened? The language switcher is disappeared from the my top menu area. OK maybe now you ll direct me to do this to do that to bring it back but, an update shouldnt do such a thing that to change site's functionality and design. If I havent seen that fault, I could lose whole day's business (actually I m already losing anyway). Please help. Thanx

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: You see the attached JPG files, before update and after update.

Instead, I got:

Steps to duplicate the issue:

November 29, 2016 at 5:27 pm #1146837

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I understand that after the most recent update, your language switcher is no longer appearing. I apologize for this inconvenience. The 3.6 version includes some major changes with the language switcher. Please go to WPML -> Languages and you will see that there are new options to add the languages switcher to an existing menu or to a widget area.

Please try to add your language switcher to your main menu and let me know if it displays the way that it did before the update.

November 29, 2016 at 5:32 pm #1146841

uweS-2

Same here. Language switcher gone with both DANTE and Flexform theme. I cannot re-add the switcher cause WPML states I have no menu on my site (which is totally nonsense as there are at least two menus: top and main). The button is greyed out ...

November 29, 2016 at 6:11 pm #1146875

OzgurC

Thanx for reply, but I know well how to add menu and add language switcher onto that. Which I did many ties, and which was working SO FINE till this update. Anyway I still tried what you said, but no success. I clicked "add language switcher to menu" link at the bottom of left column of my theme menu, then this window came up - you see in the attached JPG - and as you can see there is a choose menu option at the top left, but when I click on it it doesnt show up any menu, it says my system doesnt have any menu !!!
So just because WPML can not see that I have menu so no menu can be chosen, therefore languages switcher can not be added to my existing menu. But as you can see on my web site I have 2 menus, a main menu (top menu) and footer menu. I can see and edit them on my admin/menu page too. So why your update made the just an ordinary primary menu not visible by WPML? And what to do now? Please urgent help and solution, if you like I can give you my admin login details so you can have a look. Thank you.

November 29, 2016 at 6:25 pm #1146891

kogga

I have same problem on hidden link. Language selector is gone. I can't add language selector to my main menu. It just don't appear on the menu list in WPML.

November 29, 2016 at 6:52 pm #1146905

Lauren
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

November 29, 2016 at 7:02 pm #1146912

Lauren
Supporter

As I continue to troubleshoot, it looks like this is a bug that our developers are currently working on. You can see the errata with a workaround here:
https://wpml.org/errata/fatal-error-uncaught-exception-invalidargumentexception/

A minor update should be released soon to resolve this bug. In the meantime, there may be some settings in your theme options that will also resolve this. Please go to Appearance -> Theme Options (or if your theme options are located elsewhere) and look for the following options:

If you see the option to "Used standard wp_nav_menu", try selecting this.

If you see an option to trim the menu title, Trim long menu items must be disabled.

Please let me know if any of these solutions work to resolve the issue. Thanks!

November 29, 2016 at 7:10 pm #1146914

gyorgyF

Hi, Yes, my site is down after install latest upgrade I get this debug message, can you help me to solve this problem?:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'InvalidArgumentException' with message 'Argument ID must be numeric and greater than 0.' in /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/translations/class-wpml-translation-element.php:28 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/translations/class-wpml-term-element.php(19): WPML_Translation_Element->__construct(NULL, Object(SitePress), NULL) #1 /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/translations/class-wpml-menu-element.php(17): WPML_Term_Element->__construct(NULL, Object(SitePress), 'nav_menu', NULL) #2 /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-settings.php(313): WPML_Menu_Element->__construct(NULL, Object(SitePress)) #3 /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/language-switcher/class-wpml-ls-render.php(128): WPML_ in /var/www/clients/client1/web8/web/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/translations/class-wpml-translation-element.php on line 28
November 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm #1147067

Lauren
Supporter

Hi @gyorgyf, since this is a different issue, please open up a separate support ticket in our forum https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/. This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

November 30, 2016 at 3:15 pm #1147820

Yves Peynaud

Hi there,
I have this same volatile language switcher issue. But unfortunately, my theme (DIVI from Elegant theme) does not provide a "Used standard wp_nav_menu" option. So I'm stuck, please provide a maintenance release asap!
Thx

December 1, 2016 at 12:58 pm #1148859

jeanP-3

Same issue no switcher on home page and 500 error on some pages.
When WCML disabled 500 error gone.
Holding for maintenance release.
Thx

December 1, 2016 at 7:44 pm #1149308

OzgurC

Any news?
Any WPML developer there?
Still no good.

December 1, 2016 at 9:59 pm #1149400

Lauren
Supporter

We have released WPML 3.6.1 which has a patch for some of the menu issues that we have encountered. Please update and let me know if that resolves the issue. IF it does not, there is another workaround available here: https://wpml.org/errata/not-menus-listed-dialog-add-language-switcher-menu/

Also, and I realize this is not an ideal solution, some clients have successfully found a workaround by deleting the main menu and recreating it. Then the menu showed up in the drop down in the language switcher options. Please note that this workaround was successful before the update to 3.6.1. The latest release should resolve this issue, but please let me know if the update and the known-issue workaround does not resolve it and I will be sure to continue to find a solution for you.

December 2, 2016 at 7:41 am #1149579

OzgurC

Hi Lauren thank you very much for your interest and nice replies, but I typed my last message after updating it Version 3.6.1, I saw there is a update warning in my admin so I updated already before you typed above message. Thats why I said no success. Now I ll do what you said, deleting my menu and create a new one, but my menu is a complicated one, with 35 items and 4 languages so in total 140 menu items. And you asking me to create them again. I will but I dont think it will work. Why? Because before the first time I opened this topic, which is 5 days ago, I already created a simple test menu and tried it and still your WPML couldnt see that test menu either. Only thing I didnt is to delete the main menu and create a new menu. What I did I kept the main menu and created a test menu, and didnt get success. Thats why I ll try your 2nd solution first before creating 140 itemed menu. If it doesnt work, I ll try your 1st solution. But in any case we should not had this unnecessary trouble, I checked other people's themes that had troubles lie me, all our themes are very popular ones, therefore your developer people should have made more tests before release that last update. Before we never had any problems with updates. But this time they really caused big trouble for us. My site really lost track for the last few days we lost 4-5 business days thanks to your guys. Ok problem happens, but what I m upset about is, your guys didnt even try to make this trouble go away quickly and still didnt do anything about the problem go away for all themes around. And I asked a master developer guy who said that taxonomy id issue or other things are so simple to solve with flexibility for all themes to see the menus in that list, but he cant recode your codes for your legal reasons of course. Because this is not a open source code, we paid for your codes, so your guys should solve it. Thanx Lauren to you personally.

December 2, 2016 at 4:13 pm #1150269

Lauren
Supporter

I completely understand everything you are saying. Our developers are working hard to try and resolve these issues as fast as they can.

Here is an update to the known menu issue:
https://wpml.org/errata/not-menus-listed-dialog-add-language-switcher-menu/

Please let me know if this resolves it and if not I will quickly escalate to our compatibility team.