This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
April 29, 2019 at 7:52 pm #3706403

kevinC-28

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Switching pages over one at a time so I want to keep the original english menus until I save a French version of the page and then have that link change over.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

You can see here that the only menu item is the one page that is switched over. I want it to be the English menu but with the one french page switched over to it's french version. You can see the full menu at hidden link

April 30, 2019 at 11:47 am #3710691

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

I see both language in your site has the same menu.
Has this been fixed?

In general, if you do not translate the menu, the site will show the default language menu in all the languages.
If you already translated the menu to second language, just delete it in second language.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Riffaz.

April 30, 2019 at 3:11 pm #3712677

kevinC-28

No, sorry I turned the French page off later in the night. Please check it out again: hidden link

The problem is two parts:
1. It's pulling in the footer menu in the header (see attached screenshot showing that the header menu is set properly). I tried the "Restore Defaults" button under "Reset settings" hoping it would fix this, but it's still not showing the right header menu.

2. I want to know if it's possible to create the French menu and show the English links for each page until that individual page is translated. Right now, I'm only able to add French translated pages to the French menu, so I can't even manually build the French menu with the English links.

May 1, 2019 at 5:14 am #3716039

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

We are on holiday.
You will get an update regarding this by Sunday evening.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

May 5, 2019 at 11:26 am #3742447

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

1. It's pulling in the footer menu in the header (see attached screenshot showing that the header menu is set properly). I tried the "Restore Defaults" button under "Reset settings" hoping it would fix this, but it's still not showing the right header menu.
- this is strange. it should not.
- when you switch the theme to a defaukt theme like twenty seventeen do you see the same issue?

2. I want to know if it's possible to create the French menu and show the English links for each page until that individual page is translated. Right now, I'm only able to add French translated pages to the French menu, so I can't even manually build the French menu with the English links.
- this is not simply possible.
- anyhow you can:
Use custom links options in your French menu
Copy your English page URL and use it in your Arabic menu custom links option.
To get the custom link option you have to enable the option from the menu screen options.
Screenshot: hidden link

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

May 6, 2019 at 2:14 am #3744331

kevinC-28

1. When I preview a basic theme like Twenty Seventeen, it shows the right menu there. So weird. The theme code is pulling in the proper menu (see code below). Any ideas?
wp_nav_menu( array(
'menu' => 'header-menu',
'depth' => 2,
'container' => false,
'menu_class' => 'nav navbar-nav',
'walker' => new wp_bootstrap_navwalker())
);

2. Ok, I'll do it the custom link way then.

Thanks.

May 6, 2019 at 12:49 pm #3748529

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

1. So your theme does not use the default WordPress menu procedure.
You can check this with your theme support.

Regards,

May 13, 2019 at 1:31 pm #3798773

kevinC-28

The theme is custom so there's no one to talk to. The nav walker is pretty common way to implement menus, no? Is there any documentation/support you can provide to help troubleshoot it?

May 13, 2019 at 4:02 pm #3800411

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

In that case, we need to check this with a fresh installation and code.
This ticket is closed.
Please open a new ticket and assign it to me.
I'll see what we can do from our side with the help of our dev team.

Regards,