Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Konrad Karpieszuk 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Konrad Karpieszuk.

Author Posts
February 12, 2019 at 3:25 pm #3189455

ninaR-3

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I've created an acf block with Gutenberg for post objects. I can copy over the fields the first time when creating the post in a different language. However, if I add some more post objects in the default language I don't know how to keep it synced in the other languages. The posts of the other languages don't show any post objects - which apparently is a normal behaviour according to this post : https://wpml.org/faq/acf-post-object-page-link-fields-not-showing-back-end-translated-posts/ - but how do I update this field with the post objects in the other languages, can I keep a gutenberg block synced (and only that one and not the other blocks on this page?)

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? The post object field I'm talking about is "Coaches": hidden link hidden link

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 16.23.39.png
Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 16.24.16.png
February 13, 2019 at 9:16 am #3192698

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello

could I get an access to your site? I am marking your next reply as private

February 13, 2019 at 1:36 pm #3194258

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

Thank you

I checked your site. I see you are not using ACF fields in the old way but you created Gutenberg blocks with ACF, yes? Like described in this blog post:

hidden link

and I right?

I visited Eigene felder > Fieldgruppen and I see you don't have any defined so this is why I guess you are using this new feature, am I correct? Or did you create those blocks in some other way?

February 13, 2019 at 1:43 pm #3194297

ninaR-3

Hi Konrad, yes I'm using ACF Blocks that's correct. I have the php for them saved in my theme. Attached is a screenshot for it.

Screenshot 2019-02-13 at 14.42.32.png
February 13, 2019 at 1:57 pm #3194385

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

So I don't have a good news for you 🙁

That feature is not supported in WPML and ACF and even if try (we already contacted Elliot, the author of ACF), we cannot make it. Gutenberg does not allow it yet.

The thing is, whatever you defined in Gutenberg block is not filterable (you can't run any apply_filters() on it). So as you defined that you want to display some coaches, it will try to dsiplay the same coaches on secondary language page but because it can't find coach with given ID and not fitting language code, you see none.

Normally we should in WPML or ACFML hook into this apply_filters() and change IDs to fit to the ones in other language, but there is no place in Gutenberg to do this.

We reported this to WP authors months ago (see https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/45451 ) and it will be fixed in WP 5.1.

Then we need to get back to this with Elliot and make it working. I talked with Elliot few weeks ago and he said (maybe he already changed his mind) that ACF Blocks support in Gutenberg will stay in beta stage for months as he see much more issues in Gutenberg and will be waiting when this new editor is really ready for regular use.

So... that's the state. Despite what WP authors say, Gutenberg is not ready yet for use and you just stumbled onto one of many issues with this. This will be fixed one day by our team but please don't expect this to be done soon.

I suggest to switch to Classic Editor https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/, create normal ACF custom fields in field groups and then use them. With them, we are compatible

I am also adding information about your request to our internal ticket about ACFML and Gutenberg so we will remember to inform you when this is fixed

February 13, 2019 at 2:04 pm #3194452

ninaR-3

Thanks Konrad for your reply, but a bit of a shocker to hear, when I started the create the website, ACF planned to release the blocks January latest February this year. Switching back to the classic editor is not an option for me anymore, the site should be running for a few years and Gutenberg seems the way forward.

I guess the way around it is to just fill in the post objects manually on the other languages - is that correct? It seems to work anyway.

February 14, 2019 at 6:35 am #3197641

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter

yes, this is a only option 😐

February 14, 2019 at 1:25 pm #3199972

ninaR-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

February 14, 2019 at 2:36 pm #3200303

Konrad Karpieszuk
Supporter