This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Is there a possibility to show abbreviations like PL ENG instead of flags?

Solution: - Go to WPML >> Languages >> Edit Languages - Add PL/ENG in Translation textboxes as in attached screenshot. - Then Edit language switcher by pressing pencil icon from WPML >> Languages >> Menu language switcher and select similar options as in attached screenshot. So, it will display flag and short name.

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by dariuszN-2 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Andrés.

Author Posts
October 5, 2018 at 8:48 am #2789914

dariuszN-2

Hello.
Is there a possibility to show abbreviations like PL ENG instead of flags?
Is there a possibility to show on polish sites flag and on English version the PL abbreviation on one website?

October 8, 2018 at 8:47 am #2795141

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. You can achieve it by doing below steps:
- Go to WPML >> Languages >> Edit Languages
- Add PL/ENG in Translation textboxes as in attached screenshot.
- Then Edit language switcher by pressing pencil icon from WPML >> Languages >> Menu language switcher and select similar options as in attached screenshot. So, it will display flag and short name.
- Then, we need to write some CSS code to hide flag in one language and short name in second language. Could you please follow above steps and send me page URL where I can see updated language switcher and will provide you CSS accordingly.

Thank you

October 13, 2018 at 1:40 pm #2814235

dariuszN-2

Hello

Can I send you those access data via private message?

October 15, 2018 at 7:31 am #2816409

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello there,

As Noman is not available, I would like to continue with your case.

Did you find any issue following Noman's instructions? If so, which step was blocking for you?

Regards,
Andrés

October 16, 2018 at 8:06 am #2819998

dariuszN-2

Hello!

I did everything that Woman said correctly, but he also wrote this:
"Then, we need to write some CSS code to hide flag in one language and short name in second language. Could you please follow above steps and send me page URL where I can see updated language switcher and will provide you CSS accordingly."

I misunderstood that he wants to log into my site, thats why I wanted to sent private message with access data :), but instead I give you my url with changed language switcher hidden link

regards, Dariusz

October 16, 2018 at 8:14 am #2820043

Andrés
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hey Dariusz,

I'm afraid that what Noman intended to say is that you need to add some CSS as this is out of the scope of support.

However, you can try something similar to:

#mega-menu-item-wpml-ls-23-en span {
    display: none !important;
}

#mega-menu-item-wpml-ls-23-pl img {
    display: none !important;
}

Regards

October 16, 2018 at 8:22 am #2820070

dariuszN-2

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!