Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The language cookie is preventing the site from caching when using varnish caching.

Solution: The issue was fixed in WPML 3.6.3. Please make sure that you have the latest WPML version installed.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by Arthur 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
January 15, 2017 at 3:48 am #1182293

nicholeF

I see several threads on these forums in regards to WordPress optimized hosting solutions such as Pantheon which utilize varnish caching. The issue is the language cookie is preventing the site from caching.

Could you provide us with a status update on this feature request? Even if you don't have a date as to when this will be implemented, simply a "we're working on it" would be a positive thing to know.

Thanks!

January 16, 2017 at 11:52 am #1182888

Joanna

Hello @nicholef ,

I consulted with our Developers and I can confirm that they are working on this.
If the feature passes all tests, it should be included in the next release. However, I can't promise you that if tests fail it won't be postponed to one of the future releases.

I'll let you know when the WPML version with this feature is released.

January 16, 2017 at 3:25 pm #1183125

nicholeF

Splendid! Very much looking forward to the new release! Thank you Joanna.

February 13, 2017 at 2:55 pm #1206860

nicholeF

Did this make it into the current release?

February 17, 2017 at 9:17 am #1210854

Thomas Zickell

And you confirm that the current version of WPML this fix? Managed WordPress hosting providers like WP engine, flywheel, Pantheon, Pagely, Presslabs and others are built for high-traffic sites and perform extremely well except when using WPML

What people have said in the prior tickets about managed WordPress is correct there's no sign of it slowing down.

It would be nice to know that WPML a plug-in that is, unfortunately, synonymous with slowing down a website was build to use one of the most common moreover robust caching mechanisms on the web.

I have been using an Incapsula on top of Pantheon which allowing the site to function at a price is not cheap. You talk about using CloudFlare while Nginx might be the backbone varnish is the caching mechanism is moving its backend to varnish 5.0 as well as adding "Fastly CDN" is created on top of varnish 5.

Max CDN (possibly the most common in the WordPress community) is a varnish CDN when you look at everything word press is based upon varnish is a big part of it.
Varnish meant for very high traffic sites.
I hope this is corrected as I am not looking forward to changing language plug-ins however if needed I will Loco doesn't have this issue.

Most efficient and robust content delivery networks use varnish, so please consider your audience people who need to reach audiences far away and not do that without using content delivery networks.

From my experience so far Pagely or Pantheon with Incapsula as a CDN work very well but is not a cheap solution.

hidden link

hidden link

hidden link

June 5, 2017 at 6:26 pm #1291617

Arthur

Hi team,

Do you know when we will have a solution for this? We are having this issue on WPEngine at the moment with the same issue.