This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user was not able to set languages in directories Solution: After he rebuilds a Duplicator copy of the website on the website itself, the issue was resolved. A data inconsistency was resolved in the Duplicator package.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by V. 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
August 7, 2019 at 10:42 am #4353899

V.

I am trying to: get the language directory setting working. I've contacted your support about this yesterday, and would get back to you if the problem persisted once the site was publicly available. And it does. I've set up a subdomain with a copy of the live website that I can give you WordPress administrator access to (unfortunately no FTP access).
I've checked the various options in https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/cannot-activate-language-directories/, but as far as I can see all requirements are met.
I've not been able to get this to work on three different servers, so I'm really hoping this can get solved.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the English version of the page

Instead, I got: a 404 message

August 7, 2019 at 3:40 pm #4356553

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

Please check if this issue appears when:
- Only WPML plugins are activated. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with another plugin.
- The theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. Its will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
- If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

Yes, please I would like to access the backend to check the issue further.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

August 8, 2019 at 11:38 am #4362245

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

As I needed to check the .htaccess file and wp-config.php file, I had to install the WP File Manager plugin.
I also updated the WordPress Settings->Reading to instruct a homepage and created a blog page, the translation always had a wrong permalink like hidden link
Even when I entered a HOME_URL in the wp-config.php file the permalink was always wrong after removing the translation and recreating it again.

I will need you to migrate your site to our platform, please follow the instructions in my private reply(AUGUST 8, 2019 AT 11:37 AM) I will need to check on our server to exclude the possibility that this is caused by your hosting.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 8, 2019 at 11:58 am #4362389

V.

Hi Jamal,

The migration has been completed. I've noticed the rewriting problems as well, really curious how and why they happen.
PS. I see that the /en homepage works as it should at the Cloudways server...

August 8, 2019 at 2:31 pm #4363849

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I just checked the migrated site and I confirm that the issue is not present there. Also, the permalinks for pages are correct.
This means that either your server setup(cache, redirection, etc) is the cause of this issue or that your database presents some integrity.
You can check database issues, by making a Duplicator package of your site and rebuilding it locally, if it presents the issue, maybe it is the database, we can then try to investigate the Duplicator copy.

But if it does not present the issue, you will need to contact your hosting provider and ask for its help.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 9, 2019 at 12:43 pm #4370313

V.

Hi Jamal,

I used Duplicator to make a copy of the website and placed that in a subdomain of my own website. WPML worked correctly there as well. I then replaced the original website with this same Duplicator copy, and lo and behold, this website works correctly now too.

I have no idea what happened, but maybe it was a database issue and Duplicator cleaned that up when making the copy or doing the install? Anyway, very happy that everything's working now. Thanks for all the help!

August 9, 2019 at 12:43 pm #4370341

V.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!