This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mattW-16 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 19, 2018 at 7:16 pm #2749838

mattW-16

I am trying to: We have two languages currently. English is the base language at hidden link. And, the Spanish version is at hidden link. The problem is that when I go to hidden link (with the WWW) the browser is redirected to hidden link (the base language).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: You can go to hidden link vs hidden link.

I expected to see: I expected hidden link to redirect to hidden link

Instead, I got: hidden link redirected to hidden link (the base language)

September 20, 2018 at 8:03 pm #2753209

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Please make sure that you have set up and mapped your domains according to this document: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Also, make sure that you have separate settings for both the www version and the non-www version.

If you disable WPML, does the www redirect to the correct non www version?

September 21, 2018 at 7:56 pm #2756440

mattW-16

What do you mean by "Also, make sure that you have separate settings for both the www version and the non-www version."?

I've attached a screenshot of the settings that we have. How can we switch these?

September 21, 2018 at 9:12 pm #2756532

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Not the WPML settings, in the server settings, the non-www domain should have the separate rule and redirect to www domain like in this example hidden link. Please check to see if that is set correctly.

October 4, 2018 at 4:51 pm #2788351

mattW-16

The server settings have been set up correctly according to our host. If they weren't set up correctly, the would see a 404 error when trying to access the URL. Instead, it goes to WordPress and WordPress redirects the www to the base URL which is our base language instead of the secondary language we'd like it to show. How can we set a rule in WordPress to redirect the www to the non-www secondary language.