This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.51 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Harshad 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Harshad.

Author Posts
February 6, 2017 at 9:49 am #1200021

ioannaC

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

Hello,
I have a problem with my website

You can see the screenshots
Thank you.

February 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm #1200539

Harshad

Dear Anna,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support!

Can you please make sure you have the .mo files present at the said locations?

Regards,
Harshad

February 6, 2017 at 2:55 pm #1200552

ioannaC

I don't have the .mo files at the said locations. I can't find the .mo files. can you please check the error for me?

February 6, 2017 at 3:16 pm #1200600

Harshad

Dear Anna,

As the Support forum is public, please don't post your private information here, I've removed your WordPress admin details.

I've now enabled the private details box, which will ask your for FTP and WordPress admin details, please fill in there, So I can further investigate on your issues.

Regards,
Harshad

February 7, 2017 at 1:31 pm #1201755

Harshad

Dear Anna,

I've checked your site and don't find the .mo files for Greek Language, Though I've enabled other option to Translate your site strings using WPML String Translation.

You can now translate your Site Strings from WPML > String Translation menu.

Regards,
Harshad

February 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm #1201813

ioannaC

As i said before the reason that i send you for helping me is that i can't find .mo files. And i have a problem with this. this is your answer that you see the same problem with me?
I want a solution on my issue, not a specific on what i said to you.

Thank you

February 7, 2017 at 2:11 pm #1201833

Harshad

Dear Anna,

WPML gives you two options for translating strings. You can either use the GetText .mo files or use WPML’s String Translation mechanism.

.mo files are provided by either Theme/plugin authors, if you want to translate your theme/plugin strings to secondary language, in your case (Greek).

You can either create the .mo files using poedit software and upload it to /wp-content/languages/ folder or use below steps to create one.

The process of translating with MO files goes like this:

• Create a POT file with the strings to translate. There are many tools for that. WPML includes a robust PHP scanner and can produce these POT files for you.
  • Send the POT files to your translators. You might want to know that ICanLocalize also provides translation service for PO / POT files. You’re also welcome to learn more about it in the tutorial on translating PO and POT files.
  • Get the PO and MO files from the translators and upload to your site. Each translator should return at least a PO (Portable Object) file. The PO file is the text version of the translation. From that, you can create a MO (Machine Object) file.

The other recommended method is to translate the strings using WPML's String Translation module.

WPML’s String Translation editor allows you to enter translations for each string in each language. It’s a simple editor, with search functionality. This interface is convenient if you’re translating for yourself, or if your translators already have WordPress user accounts.

Have a look at our theme localization guide (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/). It shows exactly where to click and what to do to scan your theme and plugins.

Regards,
Harshad

The topic ‘[Closed] language file not found – WPML’ is closed to new replies.