This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Since the last WPML update (last monday) Language in Directories seems not to work anymore. It worked fine up until then.

I get the following error when I try to access the site in a different language:

Gone The requested resource /ro/shop is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

Solution: There was a redirection set in the .htaccess file (not related to WPML)

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tudorC-3 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
April 17, 2018 at 7:11 am

tudorC-3

Hi,

since the last WPML update (last monday) Language in Directories seems not to work anymore. It worked fine up until then.

I get the following error when I try to access the site in a different language:

Gone
The requested resource
/ro/shop
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

Need help!

Best regards,

Tudor

April 17, 2018 at 12:28 pm #1660737

tudorC-3

Hi,

some additional info here, it seems the site has been responding to multi lingual request up until Sunday. Since then it only serves the default, English, content.

I still don't understand why it doesn't work anymore...

Best regards,

Tudor

April 18, 2018 at 2:46 pm #1676482

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Tudor,

Please, apologize for the delay in answering. I will take care of this ticket and reply time will be shorter now.

I am pretty sure that the redirection is coming from somewhere else, not related to WPML.

In ordter to confirm if this is the case, can you please do the following test:
❌ Before proceeding please make a full website backup! ❌

Deactivate WPML for a moment
Check if the redirection persists
You can do it here: hidden link

Let me know your results, please.

Kind regards,

Otto

April 18, 2018 at 5:37 pm #1678511

tudorC-3

Hi Otto,

thank you for the help. I couldn't disable the plugin as I had traffic on the site until recently. I did it now, and the result is indeed the same.

What should I do in this case? Do you suspect this is a change on my hoster side? should I renounce language in directories altogether and move to languages added as a parameter? Can you help me with an htaccess redirect rule?

Best regards,

Tudor

April 18, 2018 at 6:32 pm #1678917

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Tudor,

There are many ways to set a redirection.
hidden link

It can be another plugin (not WPML). So you may try disabling them all and activate one by one to check. You need to have a proper backup before testing this way.

Also, in the .htaccess file.

And in the server or domain settings.

So it is hard for me to tell you where it is. We can only know for sure that is not WPML 🙂

I suggest asking your hosting support. They are in a better position to check this problem.

Makes sense?

Kind regards,

Otto

April 18, 2018 at 7:33 pm #1679256

tudorC-3

Hi Otto,

thanks for your reply. We need to continue digging on the WPML side as I don't understand how come, if this is not a plugin related issue, only the Romanian content is affected. WPML is basically the only plugin that knows that context.

I went ahead and stopped WPML again, but this time instead of firing up in the browser the Permalink I fired of the post ID...this time I got redirected to the page but not in the RO directory which is normal, and it worked (see attachment).

This indicates to me that something might have changed on the host, either they turned on the SecFilterEngine or they changed some of the permissions. I will get in touch with them to get this resolved.

Until this gets solved, do you have in the support team some quick code I can add to my .htaccess file so I can do a permanent redirect for all traffic flowing to the /ro/*.* links to language added as a parameter in the permalink? This should help me turn back up my RO version while I get to the bottom of the problem with my webhoster.

Best regards,

Tudor

April 19, 2018 at 7:59 am #1684081

tudorC-3

Hi Otto,

the problem is now solved. It was a .htaccess entry that caused the issue.

Upon further scrutiny I found a redirect that sent all my /ro/ directory traffic to 410. It must have ended up there via the Yoast Redirect Manager functionality... I cleaned up the .htaccess and all is fine now.

Thank you very much for the support!

Best regards,

Tudor