This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hansB-15 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 8, 2018 at 10:34 am

hansB-15

Hi,

For some reason the links that are automatically generated to our posts seem to be incorrect.

Dutch posts get these link:
hidden link

While English posts look like this:
hidden link

As you can see Dutch links have a subdirectory called live-cartooning-en and English content has one called live-cartooning.

The '-en' bit in the Dutch links should be in the English url's right? Moreover, not long ago these URL's did not have the subdir section 'live-cartooning' at all. This seems to be generated using the Category names. So I have 3 relating questions:

1. Why do we suddenly have subdirs?
2. Is it possible to remove them?
3. If not, how to get the '-en' addition on the English posts.

Thanks,
Hans

October 9, 2018 at 7:31 am #2798557

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi Hans and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

First of all, just by going to hidden link we can see that the permalink structure in the Permalink Settings is checked on Custom Structure and it is set to first show the category and then the post name (this is what "/%category%/%postname%/" stands for).

If you want to change that, feel free to pick any other option from the ones above.

This helped us understand why the category is shown first in the link structure.

Going forward, we want to understand why the category slug ("live-cartooning-en") is showing like this on the Dutch posts.

If you go here (hidden link) and scroll a bit till you get to the "Live Cartooning" category, if you click on its name, you will see that the slug is set exactly to "live-cartooning-en" (I am also attaching a screenshot).

Feel free to change that to what you think it fits best.

Also, on the same row, if you click on the pencil icon that's on the england flag column, you will be also able to change the name and the slug of that category for all the EN content (I attached a screenshot for this, too).

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 9, 2018 at 8:31 am #2798927

hansB-15

Dear Mihai,

That is weird. I am certain I didn't touch those settings. Perhaps it is done during testing by someone else. Anyhow, I'm very glad it is fixed this easy. Thanks for your (very clear) instructions!

Cheers,
Hans