Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
May 26, 2022 at 3:28 am #11311279

tiany

Tell us what you are trying to do?
After installing the wpml plugin on my website, the website does not show the language switcher, and in the background settings, the display language menu is disabled, prompting me that there is no menu.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I have all configured according to the documentation

What is the link to your site?
qicgroups.com

May 26, 2022 at 4:16 pm #11318499

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi there.

1. I have noticed that your website’s WP Memory Limit is 40MB. The WP memory limit needs to be increased as the minimum requirement for WPML is 128Mb WP Memory Limit: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

❌ Very important: please make a backup of your site (files & database) before following any of the upcoming steps ❌

Please add this to your wp-config.php file to increase WP memory:

/* WP Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so, if that’s the case, I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

2. Make sure that the theme you are using and all the plugins are using the latest versions. If not, please update them to the last version, only after you create a full website backup.

3. Please increase MaxInputVars to 50000 or more (you have them set at 1000 at the moment). For this, please try to set these variables in your php.ini:

max_input_vars = 50000;
suhosin.post.max_vars = 50000;
suhosin.request.max_vars = 50000;

You may need to contact your hosting provider to set them up.

Please make sure you have updated the values successfully, You can verify them from WPML >> Support page.

4. I also recommend that you update your PHP version to at least 7.4

5. If after following everything I mentioned above you don't see any change, we might deal with a compatibility issue so please:

- create a full website backup
- disable all plugins except WPML and its add-ons
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again so that you can understand which plugin is causing that issue

If the issue happens even with the non-WPML plugins disabled:

- leave all the non-WPML plugins deactivated
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- try to recreate the issue now

If you have the chance, it would be best to do this in a staging (testing) environment.

Please let me know how that goes and if following any of these steps solved your issue or brought any change.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.