This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
June 12, 2019 at 10:35 am #4003121

dominikZ

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Language switcher menu is displaying on website. Most of the time the language flags is disappearing automatically.

Footer widget is not working for two languages.

Ex- English footer widget and German footer widget will be different text and menu links.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

This is website url - hidden link

June 12, 2019 at 1:09 pm #4004645

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @dominikz, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

Please check if the page is already translated to all languages. The language switcher will only be displayed if the page is already translated.

Regarding the widget, please check if it's set to display only on a specific language, according to this documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-widgets/displaying-different-widgets-for-different-languages/

Please let me know if it worked for you.

All the best,
Diego

June 13, 2019 at 6:46 am #4009703

dominikZ

Hi Diego,

I am facing the same problem. Language flag is automatically disappear from header menu section and footer widget is not working for multilingual.

Here is the website url - hidden link

Thanks
Dominik

June 13, 2019 at 12:21 pm #4012675

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

I sent some instructions to replicate the website through a private message (previous answer).

Please let me know if it worked for you. If so, please send us clear instructions on how to see/reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
Diego

June 13, 2019 at 1:04 pm #4013095

dominikZ

Hi Diego,

The problem is when , i am trying to create footer widget for (English/ German), after saving the widget Language flag is missing from the front end menu section.

I checked your previous message and widget multilingual is not working.

Please let me know, if need any other information.

Thanks
Dominik

June 13, 2019 at 7:07 pm #4016497

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I sent some instructions on how to duplicate the website on a private message. It seems that the website is not migrated yet: wordpress-278662-883917.cloudwaysapps.com

Could you please check? You may need to click on the "SHOW PRIVATE MESSAGE" link
before my previous message.

Kind regards,
Diego

June 14, 2019 at 7:04 am #4018857

dominikZ

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply. I have migrated the website by following your instructions over private message.

Here is the web link - hidden link

Lngauge flags not displaying on the website (hidden link)

Please take a look of Language flags, footer widget issue and let me know.

Thanks
Dominik

June 14, 2019 at 5:05 pm #4023119

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks, I checked the website:
Language flags: it seems that the language switcher was not created on WPML > languages > Menu language switcher. I created one and added it to the "German main menu". Now it's displaying as expected.

Widget: You need to select the "alle sprachen" option on the dropdown to make it display in all languages (see screenshot).

It worked on the test site: hidden link

Please let me know if it worked for you.

Kind regards,
Diego

June 17, 2019 at 7:15 am #4032617

dominikZ

Hi Diego,

Thanks for your reply.

Language Flags - language flags is disappearing automatically, when i am doing any changes in footer widget.

Ex- I have changed the footer widget search box text(Suche) in German version, then Flag Menu disappear.

Widget - I have selected the "alle sprachen" option on the dropdown and it is working for menu widget. It is not working for search widget on footer section.

Can you take a look of the live website and let me know. Please find the attached screen shot.

hidden link

Thanks
Dominik

June 17, 2019 at 4:41 pm #4037309

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Hi there, Diego is off for a few days so I am stepping in to help out. I hope that's okay.

If I understand correctly, when you update the footer widget, the language switcher in the menu disappears. Is that correct?

Also, for the footer widget that is not showing the translation, what happens if you create a separate widget for each language, and assign each widget to its respective language?

Lastly, if you temporarily switch to a default theme and recreate the widget, does the issue persist?

June 18, 2019 at 11:12 am #4043071

dominikZ

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are correct regarding the widget issue(Flag disappears from menu section, after updating footer widget.).

I have checked by enabling the default theme and facing the same issue.

Can you please take a look of this problem and help me.

Thanks
Dominik

June 18, 2019 at 4:58 pm #4045491

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for clarifying. In the test site, I updated the footer widget titled "Heun Funkenerosion GmbH" - I added an exclamation point at the end. After this, the flags remained in the menu. I then set this widget to display for English. It saved in English and only appears for English now, and the flags remained in the menu.

Can you please specify what you are updating in the test site when you see the flags disappear?

Also, please try increasing the WP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

June 19, 2019 at 7:38 am #4048929

dominikZ

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your reply. I have increase WP memory as per your instructions.

When i am trying to edit footer widget text from admin panel, Flag is disappearing from header menu.

Please find the attached screen shots.

Thanks
Dominik

June 19, 2019 at 5:33 pm #4053609

Lauren
Supporter

I just tested this on the staging site. I updated the title and the flags did not disappear from the menu. Are you able to replicate this issue on the staging site, or is it only happening on the live site?