This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by eugenioL-3 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
May 9, 2018 at 6:18 pm #2059702

eugenioL-3

I have an issue from some weeks ago at my website. (www.humanfrequencies.com)
At the LANGUAGE URL FORMAT, I have the option "Different languages in directories", but lately the plugin has a sentence in red color that states:
"It looks like languages per directories will not function. Details".

When I click on Details, the following is displayed:
"This can be a result of either:
WordPress is installed in a directory (not root) and you're using default links.
URL rewriting is not enabled in your web server.
The web server cannot write to the .htaccess file"

I have already discarded any of these options with my hosting provider support team.
I have also discussed this with the support team of my security plugin: iThemes Pro, and when I deactivated that plugin, the issue still was there.
The problem is evident when I try to translate tags, because it can't be done.

I have read forum threads and I can't find any situation that fits my problem. Can you please give me a hand?

May 10, 2018 at 5:21 pm #2077755

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thanks for contacting support.
Access you database using PhpMyAdmin or the ARI Adminer plugin and check the "wp_options" table if the "siteurl" and "home" options both contain your site's URL. The value for both of them should be exactly the same. If one of them is empty you will get that error message in WPML.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Ricardo

May 10, 2018 at 9:07 pm #2079550

eugenioL-3

Thank you so much for your reply Ricardo.

I just checked that, and both the "siteurl" and "home" options are exactly the same, they both have hidden link

I have attached the image that confirms what I just said.

May 10, 2018 at 9:26 pm #2079675

Ricardo Alday

Thanks. It can also be a plugin conflict. If possible, deactivate all the non WPML plugins and activate one of the default themes. If the problem is resolved re-activate the plugins one by one to find which one caused the conflict.

May 10, 2018 at 11:11 pm #2080391

eugenioL-3

OK, so I deactivated all plugins except WPML MULTILINGUAL CMS and WPML Media, and installed and activated the theme twentyseventeen. And the problem is still there, with the red sentence that states that Language per directories will not function.

May 11, 2018 at 2:34 pm #2090148

Ricardo Alday

Thanks for the info Eugenio.
The test that the WPML plugin makes to check if using directories per language can cause some false positive results. I'm guessing this is the case for your site. It can happen if you use custom permalink structures, using directories per language will work but it will throw that error message.

I navigated through your site and didn't see anything that's obviously wrong on the front end. I checked tag translations and it looks like tags have already been translated.

Besides the "It looks like languages per directories will not function. Details" are you seeing any issues in the functionality of the site?

May 11, 2018 at 6:33 pm #2093502

eugenioL-3

Thanks for the reply Ricardo.

Unfortunately this issue is still not solved. If you read the message thread, you could check that my first message states that I cannot translate tags.
I have been trying to update my tags since some weeks ago, but WPML doesnt let me, even after all the changes that you suggested.

This screenshot is from 5 minutes ago, when I tried to update a Tag from my website.

May 11, 2018 at 7:07 pm #2093818

Ricardo Alday

I thought I saw tags that were already translated.
For example: hidden link and hidden link

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. Let me know which tag or tags are giving you trouble.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Thanks.

May 12, 2018 at 12:47 am #2095249

eugenioL-3

Thanks for the reply Ricardo;

I don't think you're reading my comments correctly, or even checking the screenshots.
I am not saying that I don't have translated TAGS, what I'm saying is that I cannot UPDATE the TAGS.
Specifically, I want to add more text in my spanish TAGS, but WPML Tag Translation is unable to do so.
So, the problem here, is that I cannot change the text displayed in every TAG.

THAT is my problem. Well, that and the RED LETTERS that determine the error.

I am not comfortable with granting you access to my WordPress, even more when I realize that my problem is not correctly understood.

I will continue looking for solutions somewhere else. I appreciate very much your help.

May 14, 2018 at 3:36 pm #2123922

Ricardo Alday

Hi Eugenio,

Sorry if you feel like I misunderstood your questions. The original question about not being able to use language per directories may or may not be related to the fact that you cannot translate tags.
When you said you could not translate tags I thought you mean exactly that but you just explained it differently in your last message.
Either way, without being able to see the backend or your site there's little we can do. It's like trying to fix a car without being able to look under the hood.
If you want, you can clone your site using the Duplicator plugin, upload the Duplicator package to a service like Google Drive or Dropbox and paste the link in the private field below.
Otherwise feel free to close this ticket.

Best,
Ricardo

May 16, 2018 at 12:23 am #2148632

Ricardo Alday

Thanks. On my local server, I was unable to reproduce any of the problems. I made a screencast to show you: hidden link
The only thing I did differently was that I disabled the iThemes plugins because they were forcing the site to use SSL, other than that, everything is exactly the same, except for the server of course.

Have you tried disabling caching plugins or all non-essential plugins except for WPML and see if the issue persists?

May 26, 2018 at 9:41 pm #2234214

eugenioL-3

It does seem that the red letters are just there and now the plugin is working just fine, despite the red letters.