Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
March 6, 2020 at 9:14 pm #5637635

davidN-51

Hello,

What is the best and most SEO friendly way to allow users to select their website language on entering the website (just via the home page would suffice)?

Our default language is English, but our biggest market is Germany. So we would like customers to be able to select which language preference they prefer on entering our website. I do not want to auto detect their browser language and redirect them, as that is not great for SEO.

So any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is setting up an index.html page which forces customers to pick which language they want on entering the site. However again that would possible block robots rom viewing our home page correctly.

Ideas welcome!

March 9, 2020 at 1:08 pm #5647901

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey David,

Thank you for reaching out to the WPML support!

I don't think that there's much you can do about a homepage with a language switcher. I looked over a lot of threads but I couldn't find any specific advice about what should you do in order to make your website will be SEO friendly.

I think that you'll have to create the index.html page, see how things work, and then improve different parts if needed.

Thanks,
    Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] Language selection on entering website’ is closed to new replies.