This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
April 8, 2020 at 2:50 pm #5867161

timD-34

hello,

I am totally lost on track! I have used Polylang before and it was so easy to use. Now I switched and purchased to WPML because of WooCommerce implementation, but I am lost!
Nothing works, too many options! Maybe I am not the one that has the time to step into the universe of WPML. I am going to refund my purchase because of that. But first I want to check if I have overseen something.

So, besides all funcionts. I have installed WPML and did not do much unless its activation and setup. Now I see a language-swap button on my homepage, and I just want to see that there is something happening!

Why isnt there happening somthing? I do not even see English button on my page. Polylang was so intuitive and I could just make pages for english language.. in WPML it seems that it is not possible anymore and it is doing this on its own. Besides that, why is the button not working???

I am very short in time and need to bring my page online in 1 Week. Do you recommend me to stop using WMPL since it is only for advanced users? As I said, I am totally lost and do not get how WPML works. Maybe my purchase was too fast because I thougt, WPML will do it.

Polylang was kind of implemented in 10 minutes and it worked flawless....

April 9, 2020 at 2:21 pm #5876747

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I understand at first sight you could be lost in WPML options but our support service and documentation are meant to help you to setup your multlilingual website the way you intend and we are happy on helping you along the way. Regarding your language switcher issue, let me explain:

1 - The language switcher will only show you other language options if you have translations for the page it is being displayed. For example, currently it seems your website are only available in german and this is why you don't see the english flag to switch to an english translation of your homepage.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/#language-switcher

2 - For test purposes and to confirm the way the WPML Language Switcher works, please, try the following:

2.1 - Add a new test page in the german language from your WordPress Dashboard > Pages enter some test title and test content and save it.

2.2 - From the page editing screen proceed to the language section and click the 'plus' icon to add a translation for your page and save it.

2.3 - Now access the german test page and you should be able to see more language options (flags) besides the german one in your language switcher.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#translating-without-wpmls-translation-management

Please, let me know if it helps and if you need any other clarifications and details from our side, have a nice day.