This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by OlivierL 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
December 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm #305063

OlivierL

Hello there,

I've been trying to update the Alterna theme I have on a client website but due to some bugs, I came back to the previous version.
In the process I lost the language switcher which was displaying in the header
See video here : hidden link

Could you please help me re-establish that and explain me what happen precisely so I can fix it myself in the future.

Thanks by advance,
Olivier

December 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm #305210

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Dear Eric,

This could be by updating your theme - maybe updating the theme does not allow you to run PHP directly this textbox.. You could try putting the code below directly into the header.php file?

<?php do_action('icl_language_selector'); ?>

Please let me know if this solves the problem and if I can help with anything else.

Thank you.

December 11, 2013 at 6:34 am #305460

OlivierL

Hi Bruno

I'm a complete newbie with PHP. I added the code directly at the end of the header.php file but no changes.

I really need this fixed urgently and to understand how you fix because that happened before with this theme and one of your colleagues fixed it without me knowing how - that takes too long every time.

Thanks by advance,
Olivier

December 11, 2013 at 5:13 pm #306880

OlivierL

Bruno,

I don't know what you're doing but the homepage is now completely messed up.
The top slider out of alignment, double navigation, etc...
This needs to be fixed urgently.
If you don't know how to get the language switcher and image banner back, at least go back to the previous version.
My client is freaking out a bit.

Thanks,
Olivier

December 11, 2013 at 8:07 pm #306968

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Dear Eric,

Sorry, but I'm not understand. I did not request the credentials of your website so , I do not have access to it. You just posted a video and based on that, I just posted for you to add that function in header.php, as you can see in the above post.

Thank you.

December 12, 2013 at 6:15 am #307078

OlivierL

Sorry Bruno, I had 2 tickets open and gave my logins to one of your colleagues for an issue with the media library.
Seems like that's an auto-update of the theme that screwed up totally my homepage. Sorry I believe it came from you trying to figure out how to re-insert the drop down menu for languages.

But that issue is still not solved. What you told me to do didn't change anything. Can we move forward to fix that? If you need my logins, please ask them today. i'm going away for 3 days and need to have this fixed before the week-end or we are going to lose leads.

Thanks by advance,
Olivier

December 12, 2013 at 6:50 am #307087

OlivierL

PS - just to make sure that I insert the code at the right place - could you give me the exact place where in the header.php file I need to insert it.

Thanks

December 12, 2013 at 9:14 am #307193

sarah.n
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Eric,

The answer to that is in one of your old threads. Please see: http://wpml.org/forums/topic/language-swithcer-and-top-banner-disappeared-again/#post-134082

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like - see below

I would suggest you bookmark this so you can refer to this in the future.

P.S The reason why adding the language switcher in your theme options does not work is because your theme options only support html code not php code.

December 12, 2013 at 2:26 pm #307477

OlivierL

Thank you so much Sarah. I knew I had that solution in some old posts but we moved to the cloud and the IT department deleted lots of old emails from my inbox and that one was in there 🙂

Once again you are a "life saver".

Have a great week-end Sarah