This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by sergeL-9 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
October 25, 2018 at 1:21 pm

sergeL-9

I am trying to:
change language from default french to english
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
all pages on hidden link
I expected to see:
when switching language, it goes from french (default) to english
Instead, I got:
when using the language switcher (top left) and change to english, it reverts back to the home page in french.
I have already checked the forum, and also reset the WPML plugin entirely.

October 25, 2018 at 5:14 pm #2850588

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Regarding your issue, It happens due your language switcher settings, so you should make sure you have the option 'Skip language' option is checked from your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages > Language swticher options.. When you have any other option checked instead of the 'Skip language' you will see a redirection to the homepage in any page where you have missing translations.

Please, let me know if you need any additional clarifications from our side. Have a nice day.

October 25, 2018 at 8:59 pm #2851136

sergeL-9

Thanks for the message, but it still not working. I have activated the skip language option, and there is a home page in English (original language is French), but it's still not loading and redirecting to the homepage in French.

October 26, 2018 at 3:05 pm #2853451

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I took look in your website settings and could notice:

1 - You are using the option 'Different language in directories' option from your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages > Languagre URL format, in order for this to work properly you should make sure you are following the instructions at: https://wpml.org/faq/server-setting-for-languages-in-directories/

2 - The website is not properly redirecting to the proper language url when using the language switcher, here you should make the following tests as I am not able to do that since you have a live production website.

2.1 - Disable all the plugins except the WPML's related ones from your WordPress Dashboard > Plugins menu, test the language switcher again activating one plugin at a time until the culprit one is found.

2.2 - If it doesn't work, switch to a default WordPress theme from your WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Themes menu, the TwentySeventeen theme is a good fit here.

IMPORTANT - Please, always make sure you have a full backup of your website. See: https://wordpress.org/plugins/backupwordpress/

The tests above will confirm if we have a theme/plugin conflict here, which should be the cause of such issues in most cases. Please, let me know the results. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

October 30, 2018 at 10:56 am #2861322

sergeL-9

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!