Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
September 28, 2018 at 1:25 pm

guillaumeF-8

Hi,

I'm trying to set up another language for my website. I've translated all the pages, and created a new menu, however clicking on the new language's flag on my homepage redirects me to the same page.

In my situation, my initial website is in english, and I just created a british english website (that includes only minor changes)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

September 28, 2018 at 5:21 pm #2774507

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello,

the translation is most likely not set to 100% translated.

please go to your Pages->Click on the "pencil" to access translation and verify that its at 100% by checking all the "translation is complete" boxes are checked.

let me know your results

October 3, 2018 at 7:37 am #2783729

guillaumeF-8

Hi Bobby,

Many thanks for your assistance. I did check, and all the pages I wanted to translate are 100% complete.
That said, some pages of the original website will not be in the translated website.
Is that what causes the issue? In which case, how do I get around it? My translation queue in WPML is displayed as 100% complete.

This leads me to another question. I'm translating an English website to German, Spanish and British English.

German and Spanish will see most of the pages being translated (same issue as British English, the version of the website I originally needed help with), but the post page on the Spanish and German website will be completely different (different posts, not only a matter of translating posts)

However, when it comes to the British website, is there a way for me to have the news pages (where my posts are) to be a carbon copy of the one on the original website (but still with the .uk at the end of the URL)? So every time I upload a new post on the original website, it's reflected on the British one?
Or will I have to create duplicates every time?

Lastly, another question just to make sure I get that right: by using the translation editor, does this mean that every time I'll change the structure of the original website, it'll be reflected on the other languages?

Thanks in advance!

October 3, 2018 at 6:35 pm #2785480

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

I can see that your page is fully translated and shows as expected under the URL
hidden link

but the language switcher is not picking up the correct URL

how are you currently adding the language switcher ? If i go to WPML->languages->add footer language switcher it works as expected. (please test this in the front end)

Also WPML provides a feature for any pages or posts that do not have translation to appear as translated.

meaning that if somebody visits a Spanish page for example and the translation does not exist it will fallback on the default language page, and show the default language page instead under the Spanish site, without redirecting the visitor to the other language.

this can be enabled by going to WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation-> Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language

October 4, 2018 at 10:01 am #2787106

guillaumeF-8

Hello Bobby,

And thanks again for your quick answers!

I did look into it and found that my flags were actually custom links used from the social media links option that can be inserted in the secondary menu bar. That was independent from WPML, so my bad! I created those a while back, I eventually forgot that it wasnt a WPML feature.

I have a last question for you, it's regarding the dupplicating vs. translating that gets me very comfused. As a reminder, my original website is in US English, I need translations in UK english, spanish, german, dutch. So far I've only taken care of the UK English website, using the /gb/ tag in the URL (not /uk/ as expected)

My understanding is that is I translate a page, the structure of the page will be preserved, I will just have to translate the text. If I make any changes to the original page, those changes will be reflected in the translated page. Am I right?

If I duplicate a page, the translation process is the same, the difference is that if I make changes to the original page, those changes won't be reflected on the translated page.

For that reason, I duplicated my US english pages towards my british english version of the website (had to make very minor changes in the copy). However I noticed that none of my links have been updated. Which leads me to the following questions:
- Should I translate or duplicate in order for my links to be updated? Ex:
hidden link on the original website is still the same on the translated website. Should I keep the link as it is (so the picture is displayed on the translated page) or should I updated by adding a /gb/ in the URL? Also, what does that say about the media? Are all media taken from the same source, or are they all duplicated across all languages? (Which seems to be the case for the posts)

For my other upcoming pages, whats's the best way of translating the website? Considering that A) I don't want changes on the original pages to be reflected on the translate pages, B) I want the link to be fully functional, not only when it comes to the media, but also when it comes to redirection.

Thanks again for your help! It is truly appreciated as I have a hard time finding my answers on the forums, or get easily confused!

Regards

October 4, 2018 at 10:04 am #2787125

guillaumeF-8

Lastly, another thing that confuses me, it seems that even for a duplicated page the message inviting me to use the translation editor is prompted whenever i want to edit a translated page. does that make any difference if I don't "open in translation editor" and "edit anyway" instead?

October 4, 2018 at 6:31 pm #2788565

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

Glad that the language switcher issue has been resolved.

Regarding the translations and which method to use, i will try to explain it as simple as possible and do let me know if anything is not clear.

There are technically 3 options.

1. Translate (this is done by clicking on the "+" icon and adding a translation)

when you translate you can either do it manually or by using the Translation Editor.

to enable either one you go to WPML->Settings-> "Translate Manually" uses the WP editor and "Use Classic Translation Editor" will use the WPML editor (side to side editing)

- When using the WP editor , you can see the page builder , but this will cause you to have to do the translation and creation of the page starting from scratch (useful when you want a completely different page)

- Using the classic editor will allow your page to keep the same style and you just need to add the translations

2. Duplicate method

This can be done when using the WP editor and translating manually, and when you duplicate your content it copies over all your content and structure to the translation.

then you are able to access the translation and just add your translations in the WP editor. (page builder view)

when using this method you have to make sure that you have clicked on "translate independently " (top right corner) otherwise changes in the default language will reflect in the translation as well

3. "Showing as Translated" this is duplication without duplication. meaning that now you can tell WPML to show your default language for any page/post that is not translated.

this will be done automatically and will not fill in any information in the translation page it will just appear as if it has a translation and fall back in the default language.

you can enable this by going to WPML->Settings->Post Types Translation->Pages /Post => Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language

"does that make any difference if I don't "open in translation editor" and "edit anyway" instead?"

in most cases no but if you do notice it causing issues please do let me know.

October 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm #2808655
guillaumeF-8

Hi Bobby,

Sorry for the late reply. I've got a lot figured out this week thanks to your help, I'm nearly finished.

My last struggle is with the top menu bar. I've created a menu in each language, english, german, spanish, but it seems that in the menu settings in Appareance/Menus, whichever menu I select in "display locations" will overrule the other languages. Meaning that if I tick those options in the english version of the menu, on my other language pages, the english menu will then be dislpayed.

I tried ot find some info on the forums but everything I try doesn't work. That's the last bit I miss before I can put the website online!

New threads created by Bobby and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-menu-translation/

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-menu-translation-2/

October 11, 2018 at 11:11 pm #2809974

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

as the original issue has been resolved and we do try to keep each thread to 1 issue minimum i have started a new thread for this last problem regarding the menu here and marked this one here as resolved

-> https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-menu-translation-2/

October 24, 2018 at 3:05 pm #2846997

guillaumeF-8

Indeed, it was resolved. Sorry for the delay in my answer. Really appreciate your help, thanks again