Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
November 15, 2019 at 6:21 pm #4956181

sandraG-27

I am trying to: setup the Menu language switcher.
The language names appear and look correct but when I click on the other language it doesn't link to the page in the other language.

The weird thing is that the Footer language switcher works properly, just the Menu one doesn't work at all. Although the Footer switcher also doesn't work in all cases.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Everywhere on the whole site.
But you have to be logged in to see the site:

November 19, 2019 at 11:50 am #4971591

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Sandra,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I just checked this out and I could see that you're using the Lay theme on your website. I'm not quite familiar with this one and it seems that it's not a part of our WPML compatible themes either (https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/).

In this case, I think there might be some compatibility issues between WPML and they way that the theme menus are working. Can you temporary activate a default theme (like Twenty Nineteen), and tell me if the language switcher works fine this time, please? This way we can find out if this is an issue from WPML or from the theme that you're using. I checked all the settings of the menus and of the language switcher and everything looks fine.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
Radu

November 22, 2019 at 4:33 pm #5000589

sandraG-27

Right now the developer of Lay Theme is looking at it.
I will let you know if we can fix it ourselves.

Thanks.

November 22, 2019 at 5:45 pm #5001265

Radu
Supporter

Hey Sandra,

I'm glad to hear that you're working with the Lay Theme developers to investigate this issue a bit further. Please let me know if there's anything I can help with. Also, you can share the solution here, if this turns out to be a theme issue. It might help other users having the same theme as you.

Thanks,
Radu

December 3, 2019 at 10:31 am #5059485

sandraG-27

The issue was not solved.

I do a workaround now: I don't use any language switchers but the names of the languages just link to the landing page in the respective language. So each language always starts from the beginning. I can live with that.

Unless you have any ideas how to solve the issue.

December 4, 2019 at 10:17 am #5067157

Radu
Supporter

Hey Sandra,

Can you tell me if you made the check that I mentioned in my previous message, of activating a default theme and deactivating all the plugins except for WPML? Once you do this, just add back the language switcher to one of the menus and tell me if you still cannot change the

Also, can you ask the theme authors if they are using AJAX to load the pages? I think that there's an issue between the theme way of changing the pages. If the pages are loaded using AJAX (which is a custom way of loading pages, added by the theme), the language switcher might not be able to work with it. Also, you can ask if there's any option to stop AJAX (most themes add an option for this) to see if things are going back to normal.

Thanks,
Radu