This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Otto 1 year, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
February 2, 2018 at 3:27 pm #1505558

Edward Zilliacus

I have translated the homepage of my website using the translation editor to one additional language. I have also added the language switcher to the primary menu and footer of my website. However, nothing happens when I click the desired language flag. Does not work in the menu and does not work in the footer.

Why does this happen & how can you help me?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edward

February 5, 2018 at 10:25 am #1506868

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Edward,

Please apologie for the delay in answering. This is not usual in this forum. I'll take care of your ticket and reply time will be shorter from now.

Are you hosting your site in Godaddy managed hosting?

If that's the case, please check in Settings > General if home url and site url are empty.

If so, please add it explicitly in the wp-config.php file:

define('WP_HOME','<em><u>hidden link</u></em>');
define('WP_SITEURL','<em><u>hidden link</u></em>');

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

If this is not the case, if it is possible for you, do the following test:
-Back up your site first
-Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
-Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Fourteen.
-If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

Also, The WP memory limit needs to be increased. PHP memory is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Can you please increase the memory limit to 256MB:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Let me know your results, please.

Kind Regards,

Otto

February 6, 2018 at 1:24 pm #1508576

Edward Zilliacus

Hi Otto and thank you for your response.

I can not say I understand completely what I am supposed to do since I am not that familiar with the coding part of managing a WordPress site. I have built the site using Beaver Builder and have been told that WPML is the only language switcher that will work for a site built with beaver builder.

To answer your questions: Yes the site is hosted by GoDaddy.

In Settings-->General both fields have the URL hidden link

Looking in my editor I do not find a file named wp-config.php so I am unsure which of the files to do the changes in.

Is there a possibility to create an admin account for you to use so that you can quickly & easily see that WPML is installed correctly and that all settings are as they should? This would probably work out way faster and give both you and me the possibility to move on much quicker.

+ How do I backup my site? Tools-->Export--> Download Export File (All Content) ?

Thank you in advance,

Edward

February 6, 2018 at 2:12 pm #1508673

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello Edward,

Sure 🙂

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access. Check if your hosting provides a backup utility. If not, check these tutorials on how to do a backup:
hidden link

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

Kind Regards,

Otto

The topic ‘[Closed] Language Switcher not Working’ is closed to new replies.