This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
January 21, 2019 at 11:50 pm

michaelH-120

I am trying to: add the language switcher

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: language switch with English | Spanish

Instead, I got: Nothing when using a navmenu widget and only english in a dropdown when using the sidebar widget

I am using Elementor Pro with the plain Hello theme

January 22, 2019 at 7:49 pm #3118071

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. For an initial troubleshooting, please, try the following:

IMPORTANT: Please, note, a backup is required for security reasons and to avoid any data loss, you can use the https://wordpress.org/plugins/backupwordpress/ plugin for these backup needs.

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > Plugins disable all the plugins except the ones directly related with your website page content such as the Elementor plugin and the WPML's related ones, if the issue is fixed, activate one plugin at a time, untill the culprit is found.

2 - If the issue persists, change to a default WordPress theme such as the 'TwentySeventeen' from your WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Themes settings.

Please, let me know the results of the steps above. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

January 22, 2019 at 9:22 pm #3118174

michaelH-120

The site IS using the Twenty Seventeen theme. I disabled ALL plugings except those for WPML, Elementor and Elementor Pro and the issue persists.

I have reactivated all plugins.

Thank you.

January 23, 2019 at 2:13 pm #3120970

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I took a further look in your website and could notice the language switcher works properly in your current website setup, here are the steps I tried:

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages > Language switcher options I changed the 'Link to home of language for missing translations' it will make sure the language switcher shows all the options even if a translation is not done yet.

2 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages > Menu language switcher I setup a language switcher to be shown in your website header navigation. You can see the results in your website frontend.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/ for the full details regarding these options.

I see you still don't have a translation for your homepage, this is the reason why you had issues with your language switcher using your previous theme. Please, add a translation for it and proceed according my instructions above.

See: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/elementor/

Please, let me know if you need any additional instructions. Have a nice day.