This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 9.17 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marine Larmier 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Marine Larmier.

Author Posts
July 21, 2016 at 12:29 pm #969486

marcH-8

I am trying to: have ONLY the native language and flag shown in the language switcher.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: flag and "Deutsch" or flag and "italiano".

Instead, I got: flag and Deutsch (German) or flag and Italiano (Italian)

Here are the screenshots:
settings in wpml: hidden link
page with language switcher: hidden link

July 21, 2016 at 2:03 pm #969767

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi Marc,

Thanks for contacting us, I am Marine and I will do my best to help you Today.

Regarding to your message, if I understand well, you want to display only the flag and the native language in the switcher.

1. According to your screenshot, the settings appear be to correct.
Indeed, you selected the right elements, and the widget preview is pretty accurate.

"What to include in the language switcher:
{x} Flag
{x} Native language name"

In that case, the issue might be somewhere else.

2. When I go to your website, I cannot see the language switcher so I cannot determine if it’s a WPML built-in switcher or a customized switcher, belonging to your theme (Porto Child.) Could you please inform me about that ?

What to do if the switcher belongs to your theme ?
→ We are going to activate a WPML native dropdown language switcher, to see where the issue is from.

How to activate a WPML native dropdown language switcher ?
Please go to:
- WPML > Languages > Languages Switcher Options > Language switcher in the WP Menu

- Make sure to tick the box:
{x} Display the language switcher in the WP Menu

- Scroll down and save

- Go on your front-end website and tell us if the issue has been solved.

3. If the previous advice did not work, please check if this issue appears when:

- All non WPML Plugins are disabled. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with other plugin.
- Theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
- If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

I hope this helped. Please let me know if it works,

All the best,

Marine

July 21, 2016 at 5:53 pm #970123

marcH-8

Hi Marine,

the theme author updated my theme and the top navigation bar (besides some other options) was gone! I have restored everything, so you can now have a look at: hidden link and see that the language switcher shows native AND translated language, even though I have set to show ONLY flag and native language. The theme author said that this header doesn't show language and currency switcher and that I have to use another header. Well, I tried other headers, but it's the SAME issue!! And.. I think the theme author doesn't know his theme quite well, because the language switcher is shown! Maybe you can figure out the problem.
thanks!

July 22, 2016 at 7:56 am #970707

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply.
Now I can see the language switcher on your webstite with the native language, the english translation and the flag.
But from I have understood, you only want to display : Native language + Flag.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your test site to take a better look at the issue.

*Very Important*: Be sure to backup your site and database first before you proceed!

Could you please indicate me how to replicate this behaviour?

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally.
For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site.
This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok for you.

You can use a plugin for this if you like.
You can use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose.
See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Looking forward to hearing back from you,

All the best,
Marine

July 22, 2016 at 9:34 am #970936

marcH-8

Hi Marine,
yes, correct. What I want to display is flag and native language. It works fine on other sites I am using, see for example: hidden link or hidden link (of course these are different themes).

Ok, I am fine with the steps you want to do. I dumped my database and saved the theme files and config. So you can go ahead.

However, I don't see the fields where i could put in my login data. I see only this reply area and below is only screenshots, no other fields where I could insert the login data. Let me know if I should write this into this comment field.

thanks

July 22, 2016 at 9:47 am #970944

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi Marc,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I would have a quick question before going any further.

Can you confirm me that you tried the steps I mentioned in my previous post:
Activate a WPML native dropdown menu and check if the issue appears when:

- All non WPML Plugins are disabled. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with other plugin.
- Theme is set to a WordPress default like Twenty Fourteen. It will tell us if there is an interaction issue with your theme.
- If the problem disappears, start activating one at the time to track where the incompatibility is produced.

What's more, you mentioned that the switcher works with some other themes, I am afraid that the issue might come from the Porto Child Theme.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Marine

July 22, 2016 at 12:14 pm #971124

marcH-8

Hi Marine,

the others themes I mentioned are on other wordpress installations for other domains though.

Anyway, I will do what you suggested, disactivating all plugins and try with other theme, but this will take some time. I thought maybe you could figure out the problem in a rush.
I'll update you on results after the changes.

thanks, marc

July 22, 2016 at 1:21 pm #971297

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi Marc,

Please let me know if that works.
If the issue is not solved, I will do my best to help again.

All the best,
Marine

August 6, 2016 at 8:59 am #992819

marcH-8

Hi Marine,

I still have the same problem, but I haven't found the time to check with all disabled plugins and/or another theme. I will do this in the next week and come back to you. thanks.

August 8, 2016 at 7:01 am #993508

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your information and taking the time to run a few tests on your website. Sometimes, it helps a lot to find out if there is an issue with the compatibility of one of the plugins.

If that does not make anything work, as I suggested to you previously and if you agree, I would be happy to take control of your site 🙂

Keep me posted this week, and I will be here to help you.

All the best,

Marine

August 23, 2016 at 12:15 pm #1016215

marcH-8

Hi Marine,
the problem still exists, but I haven't had time to disable all plugins and try.... I'll do this in the next month. If then the problem still persists, I will open a new ticket. thanks.

August 23, 2016 at 12:39 pm #1016244

Marine Larmier
Supporter

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching us again.
You can open another ticket next month, no problem.

In the meantime please contact us at anytime if you want me to access your site, as I offered you in the last weeks 🙂

I wish you all the best in your project,

Marine