Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: To get the language switcher in the header to just show the flags only without the text when viewing the native language.

Solution: Disable the merge and compress theme CSS files and re-enabling it (from the Enfold theme option)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 1, 2019 at 9:02 pm #4493235

joostB-9

I am trying to:
To get the language switcher in the header to just show the flags only without the text when viewing the native language.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
hidden link

I expected to see:
Just 2 flags and no text.

Instead, I got:
2 flags, text and vertical lines when viewing the native language. See images. The text doesn't show when viewing the English translations. Only the native Dutch.
This isn't a custom language the switcher. It's the switcher which appeared as soon as I installed the plugin. As far as I know I didn't change the settings and I don't know how to reverse it.

Thank you for your time.

September 1, 2019 at 9:52 pm #4493389

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Joost,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

It seems that this is the CSS that makes the language switcher from the top of the page look the way you want on English:

.avia_wpml_language_switch li .language_flag {
    display: block;
}
.avia_wpml_language_switch li span {
    display: none;
}
#top ul.avia_wpml_language_switch li {
    float: left;
    margin: 0px 0px 0px 5px;
    padding: 0;
    border: none;
}

As I can see, this is some styling added by the Enfold theme. Can you try to copy this snippet to the Appearance → Customize → Additional CSS area, and tell me if the language switcher looks the same in English, please?

Thanks,
Radu

September 2, 2019 at 6:58 pm #4499693

joostB-9

Hello Radu,

Thank you for your response. However I fixed the problem by disabling the merge and compress theme CSS files and re-enabling it. Apparently there is a conflict between Enfold CSS merge and compression option in Enfold -> Performance and the WPML language switcher.

September 3, 2019 at 6:51 am #4501571

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Joost,

I'm glad to hear that everything is back to normal now. Well done!

I'll mark this ticket as resolved now. If you have any other question or issue, feel free to open a new ticket and we'll take care of it.

Thanks,
Radu